Cytogenetics Technologist, Per Diem
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK will require all new hires, volunteers, and vendors who come onsite to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. This is based on the COVID-19 vaccines’ high level of protection and our shared responsibility in protecting our patients.
We are seeking a Cytogenetics Technologist (per diem) who, under general supervision, will carry out cytogenetic analysis of HER2 FISH testing specimens received by the laboratory.
- Complete diagnostic reports while maintaining quality of work within established time frames.
- Produce written, accurate diagnostic reports of analyzed cases within established turnaround time guidelines:
- Produce preliminary report of analyzed rush cases within 24 hours of doctor’s request and receipt of specimen.
- Produce reports with appropriate depth of analysis as per departmental guidelines.
- Produce accurate reports with accurate interpretation of abnormality and accurate nomenclature.
- Incorporate all available diagnostic data into the report, including, cytogenetic, histopathologic diagnosis, molecular pathology, hematology, etc.
- Understand current literature as it relates to the abnormality and the clinical or tentative diagnosis.
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Focused on continuous improvement and know the most effective and efficient processes to optimize workflow.
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- Flexible in your approach and demeanor in order to align with the shifting demands of evolving circumstances.
- Motivated to consistently achieve results, from varying specimen types and quality.
- Organized and able to work independently and efficiently.
- A strong creative thinker with excellent problem solving skills.
- BS in Medical Technology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or related life sciences field required
- NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required.
- Experience working in a cytogenetics or other clinical molecular laboratory for 1 year.
- Experience performing Her2 FISH testing and analysis.
Hours of work:
- Hours will vary each week as needed but will not exceed 18 hours per week.
- Hours may be outside of routine operating hours, weekends and after 5pm
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top