Cytogenetics Technologist I
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Cytogenetics Lab located at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is seeking a Cytogenetic Technologist, to perform karyotype and FISH procedures as well as state of the art molecular technologies to discover novel genetic and clinically useful chromosome and molecular biomarkers. The Cytogenetic Technologist will be part of the team performing conventional cytogenetic, FISH, and several microarray testing protocols on various tumor sample types. The position requires wet-bench lab experience and understanding of molecular cytogenetics.
- Under general supervision, carries out cytogenetic analysis of specimens received by the laboratory.
- Performs culture initiation, harvesting and chromosome analysis with minimal supervision. Identifies routine cytogenetic abnormalities.
- Completes diagnostic reports while maintaining quality of work within established time frames.
- Perform laboratory bench work according to established and approved Standard Operating Procedures.
- Review all test requests thoroughly for errors, omissions, clarity, and potential problems.
- Follow unidirectional flow of specimen handling to avoid contamination.
- Help maintain commonly used equipment. Resolve minor equipment problems.
- Operate equipment carefully and according to procedures. Perform necessary equipment checks, performance testing, preventive maintenance, and quality control on equipment per laboratory guidelines, as assigned. Assure equipment and instruments meet performance standards. Record results.
- Maintain compliance with clinical genetic testing regulatory agencies and proficiency programs (CAP, CLIA, NYS Department of Health).
- Verifies requisitions and labels; records patient information.
- BS in Medical Technology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or related life sciences field with experience working in a Cytogenetics laboratory, with 1 year of chromosomal microarray (SNP-Array and/or aCGH) preferred.
- NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License Required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good laboratory and organizational skills, including the ability to work independently and efficiently are essential
- Ability to multitask, along with an orientation toward teamwork and leadership
- Strong creative thinking and problem solving skills
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top