Clinical Data Specialist, Surgical Coding (CPC)
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Physician Billing Department (PBD) at Memorial Sloan Kettering is seeking a Clinical Data Specialist to join their Surgical Coding team to ensure that all data is optimally coded for research purposes, financial reimbursement, and regulatory reporting.
- A Certified Professional Coder with extensive knowledge in anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Proficient in Data entry with accuracy and attention to detail.
Able to communicate with diverse audiences and to handle complex coding scenarios.
- Adept at prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Skilled at creating partnerships and working collaboratively to meet shared objectives and goals.
- Action-oriented and agile to adapt to new opportunities and tough challenges with high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Identify and assign appropriate principal and applicable subsequent diagnoses, and procedure codes based on pathology and surgical operative reports, using ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases) and CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) codes.
- Select CPT codes at their highest level of specificity per documentation and research requirements
- Follow all coding guidelines as defined by NCCI and CMS regulations
- Resolve coding rejections based on resource review when warranted
- Communicates directly with Surgery Administration and Physicians to ensure that surgical documentation is coded in compliance with NCCI initiative and CMS regulations.
- Participate in Faculty meetings to share feedback, provide coding guidelines and resources collaboratively.
- Provide clarification on coding choices and documentation requirements upon request
- Certified Professional Coding (CPC) certification required
- Two years of Surgical coding experience required
- High School Diploma/GED required; Bachelors Degree preferred
- Experience with CPT and ICD-10-CM coding
- Experience in an automated healthcare coding environment is required
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top