Child Life Specialist
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
At Memorial Sloan Kettering, we take a team approach to caring for children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer. Our experts share the goal of curing child and returning him or her to a life focused on family, friends, and the future. We care for young people with all types of cancer, from the most common to the rarest, and at any stage, including a cancer recurrence.
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Adept at creating partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding.
- Provide Child Life services to pediatric patients based on an understanding of child development and the impact that illness, injury, disability and hospitalization have on this process.
- Develop and execute group activity programs
- Plan interventions specific to the impact of the health care
- Provide guidance for the family in understanding and dealing with hospital regulations and procedures, while facilitating opportunities for parents for actively continue their parenting role.
- Maintain records, statistics, activity calendars, schedules, and other appropriate documentation
- Bachelor’s degree in Child Life, Recreation Therapy, Art Therapy, or Special Education; Master’s preferred
- 1-2 years of related experience
- Child Life Specialist Certification OR completed requirements with plans to take exam within one year of hire
Hours will vary between 8:00am-7:00pm and include a weekend rotation, as well as some holidays #LI-POST
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Meet Some of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's Employees
Miguel B.Lead Software Engineer
Miguel provides insight on the data collected from all cancer research, ensuring every product in the hospital is backed by data science.
Back to top