Blood Bank Manager, Laboratory Medicine
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Please note that effective July 1, 2021, MSK will require all new hires, volunteers, and vendors who come onsite to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. This is based on the COVID-19 vaccines’ high level of protection and our shared responsibility in protecting our patients.
Are you interested in being a part of our mission to cure cancer at MSK? We have an exciting opportunity for a Blood Bank Manager to join our Department of Laboratory Medicine! In pursuit of patient care and scientific research, our team prepares over 50,000 blood products for transfusion every year. We have an active donor room. You will lead an innovative, collaborative, and interdependent team that regularly pursues excellence across all the MSK blood banks (or sites) at MSK.
The ideal candidate is a clinical laboratory technologist possessing the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in medical technology or an appropriate biological/chemical science from an accredited college or university.
- A current New York State Clinical Laboratory Technologist license or ASCP certification with eligibility to apply for a NY license preferred
- 10+ years managing or supervising in a clinical lab setting, including distribution to offsite facilities, highly skilled in reference laboratory level experience and LIS upgrade/implementation experience required.
- Certification as a Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB) preferred
- Strong experience in formulating and managing budgets
- Knowledge of New York and New Jersey regulatory oversight
- Responsible for the management of staff and operations of the Blood Bank Team
- Work closely with the supervisors to assure adequate staffing and educational opportunities for the team.
- Responsible for preparing and managing the lab budget, covering equipment, supplies and staffing.
- Collaborate with other departmental managers to create and implement department-wide initiatives.
- Review validations and SOPs.
- Act as the escalation point for the team when difficult samples require review.
- Ensure the lab remains compliant with safety standards, legal regulations, licensing and accreditation requirements.
- Work closely with the Senior Director and Service Chief of Transfusion Medicine
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM, or hours flexible as needed
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top