Blood Bank Manager
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are seeking a new Blood Bank Manager to join our teamin the Department of Lab Medicine.
Be responsible for the management of staff and operations of the Transfusion Medicine Service, which consists of a hospital in patient transfusion service, outpatient transfusions, a central processing facility and a regional network of transfusion sites, donor collections and apheresis center
- Manage a team of approximately 75 staff, including taking responsibility for recruitment, performance appraisals and education of the team.
- Work closely with the supervisors to assure adequate staffing and educational opportunities for the team.
- Be responsible for preparing and managing the lab budget, covering equipment, supplies and staffing.
- Collaborate with other departmental managers to create and implement department-wide initiatives.
- Review validations and SOPs.
- Act as the escalation point for the team when difficult samples require review.
- Ensure the lab remains compliant with safety standards, legal regulations, licensing and accreditation requirements.
- Work closely with the Senior Manager and Director of Transfusion Services
- A strong, assertive leader who is able to motivate and inspire a high performing team.
- Able to Manage technical and support staff of approximately
- Support the lab’s quality initiatives, aligned with the department’s robust Quality Management System
- Someone who excels at managing multiple projects within dynamic, changing settings.
- Bachelor's Degree in medical technology or an appropriate biological/chemical science from an accredited college or university is required.
- A current New York State Clinical Laboratory Technologist license or ASCP certification with eligibility to apply for a NY license required.
- 10+ years managing or supervising in a clinical lab setting, including distribution to offsite facilities, highly skilled in reference laboratory level experience and LIS upgrade/implementation experience required.
- Certification as a Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB)
- Strong experience in formulating and managing budgets.
- Knowledge of New York and New Jersey regulatory oversight
Hours: Monday- Friday; 9-5 or as needed
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top