Bioinformatics Software Engineer I
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK will require all new hires, volunteers, and vendors who come onsite to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. This is based on the COVID-19 vaccines’ high level of protection and our shared responsibility in protecting our patients.
Under the supervision of the clinical sequencing laboratory director, the Bioinformatics Software Engineer will provide support to the clinical lab at the Center by designing, developing, and implementing LIMS application and related tools. You will work closely with the lab to collect requirements for new workflows, modify existing workflows, answer questions and train users. You will be responsible for developing, maintaining and supporting RESTful APIs, standalone applications, and web interfaces to support upstream and downstream applications and users.
- Develop LIMS workflows to support lab operations (Java) .
- Develops plug-ins, RESTful APIs, standalone applications, and Web interfaces for the clinical LIMS system.
- Research, design, and implement continuous integration frameworks as health-check for production clinical LIMS.
- Use version control (git) to maintain code.
- Design and develop software and databases as part of bioinformatics and biomedical informatics data storage, visualization, processing, and analysis systems.
- Design and implement features (algorithms, data structures, database access, visualization, user interface) and add modifications to existing mathematical/scientific applications.
- Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation.
- Evaluate, install, and maintain data and software.
- Work closely with the lab to collect user requirements.
- Work with other bioinformatics teams to develop tools and api to support overall operation and achieve department goals.
- Provide LIMS training to users.
- Generate documentation for workflows and APIs.
- Provide support to LIMS users by troubleshooting and resolving help tickets.
- Support various other LIMS related tools that are used by upstream and downstream systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or Mathematics
- Less than 2 years Experience with bioinformatics methods
- Experience with one or more of the following: Python, Java
- Familiarity with databases (SQL or NoSQL)
- Familiarity with git, svn, or another version control system
- Master’s Degree Preferred.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top