Bioinformatics Scientist - Hybrid work schedule available
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Please note that effective July 1, 2021, MSK will require all new hires, volunteers, and vendors who come onsite to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. This is based on the COVID-19 vaccines’ high level of protection and our shared responsibility in protecting our patients.
MSK is seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist to join Computational Oncology in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
We are an interdisciplinary team of bioinformatic scientists, molecular biologists and software engineers motivated by a desire to improve the lives of cancer patients and advance the fields of molecular and computational cancer biology. We are seeking to hire a Master's or Ph.D. level bioinformatics scientist who will help develop analytical methods to be applied to single cell sequencing, whole genome sequencing, and clinical research data produced by large scale research efforts in computational oncology. A successful candidate would exploit state of the art analysis methods, develop new methods and analyses, implement data quality control procedures and train junior bioinformaticians in those procedures. Additionally, the candidate would interface with external collaborators and researchers within our group, gathering requirements for new research questions and providing interpretation of results produced by production pipelines and bespoke analyses.
- Develop software to help drive forward our groups pioneering work in the field of single cell genomics
- Dive deeply into sequencing datasets and ask novel and interesting questions
- Critique results and diagnose issues with new analyses
- Continue to research new developments in the field of computational biology and bioinformatics in order to apply these methods to data analyzed within the lab
- Work and collaborate with researchers to develop new analyzes to answer novel questions in cancer genomics
- Train junior analysts to run pipelines and perform routine analyses and quality control
- Intrinsically motivated by a desire to develop software that will advance science and make a positive societal impact
- Someone with a deep fascination with molecular and cell biology
- Excited by new datasets and the opportunity to look at data in new ways
- Detail oriented, able to identifies anomalies in data and quickly uncover the source of those anomalies
- Capable of building strong collaborative relationships and delivering research-centric solutions
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situation
- Master's or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or Computer Science with emphasis on applications in molecular biology
- Experience with Python and R
- Experience with Linux Systems
- Experience with standard bioinformatics tools and software
- Familiarity with databases (SQL or NoSQL)
- Familiarity with git, svn, or another version control system
- Must provide a link to github or code sample.
- Must be willing to relocate to New York City area.
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top