Rehab Care Technician Float
- Washington, DC
- Job Summary
- The Rehab Care Technician (RCT) performs a variety of direct patient care activities for a designated nursing unit.Assists medical and nursing staff with procedures and/or tests, assists patients with Activities of Daily Living (ADL's), obtains non-invasive body fluid specimens and may draw blood for glucose monitoring. The Float RCT will adhere to the departmental policies regarding scheduling as they will be working in various departments base on clinical need.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required. Completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant program (CNA) or experience as a MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN) Rehab Care Technician required. Nursing Student (RN or LPN Program) with completion of at least one year of clinical rotation, Completion of a national Registered Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic program/course, A Nursing Student (RN Program) with completion of at least one year of clinical rotation or a graduate of an approved nursing program (LPN or RN) considered in place of completion of a CNA program.
- Minimum of six (6) months acute care hospital experience as a CNA; or completion of at least one year of clinical rotation or graduate of an approved nursing program (LPN or RN); or, at least six months or more experience as an EMT or EMTP.
- D.C. CNA Certification Preferred
BLS CPR Card obatined through AHA
- D.C. CNA Certification Preferred
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Work consists of a number of moderately complex, varied though standardized tasks. Job holder makes some decisions, using standard instructions, policies, protocols and/or procedures for guidance. Supervisor is consulted to handle non-standard activities.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors/takes vital signs, e.g. temperature, pulse oximeter readings, weight, etc. and records them in the electronic health record (EHR). Monitors and responds to patients call light, assisting patient directly or referring the need to a more appropriate staff member.
- Ensures full and complete hand off to oncoming shift and ensures that he/she obtains full hand off from outgoing shift.
- Reports observations/changes in patient status to the appropriate nursing and/or medical personnel according to specific Nursing Division protocol. Performs hourly Purposeful Rounding to assess pain, potty and positioning needs and reports any issues/abnormalities to the assigned registered nurse.
- Completes bladder scans
- Performs the following procedures as directed by the RN/physician: blood glucose monitoring utilizing a glucometer, hemocult tests and controls, specific bowel evacuation procedures, suppositories and digital stimulation and documents in the HER, EKGs, In/Out cauterization only and placement of condom catheter
- Completes placement of restraints, Intake and Output (I&O) documentation, as necessary. Records VS and I/O in MedConnect as appropriate.
- Prepares patient to be seen by physician.Assists physician in examinations/procedures. Collects laboratory specimens, e.g. 24 hour urine, stool, sputum, etc., and sends them to the laboratory.
- Assists patient with Activities of Daily Living (ADL's), including but not limited to: positioning/escorting, answering patient call light, feeding, bathing, etc.
- Maintains the cleanliness and safety of patient rooms/environment by distributing and changing linen/towels, removing used meal trays, checking bed side rails and safety restraints, etc. Notifies appropriate personnel, as needed.
- Receives and stocks equipment and supplies.
- Transports and/or escorts patients during discharges, transfers, and/or medical appointments. Completes errands such as delivering specimens to the laboratory, etc., as required.
- Initiates CPR when indicated.
- Attends staff meetings and in-services, as required.
- Provides constant care attendant functions if indicated by RN/nursing supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.","datePosted":"2020-10-09T04:51:07.908Z
Back to top