Registered Nurse Acute Rehab
- Washington, DC
RN - Acute Rehab
General Summary of Position
The rehabilitation clinical nurse is a key member of the interdisciplinary team to deliver patient-centered rehabilitation nursing services to individuals with a disability and/or chronic illness to attain and maintain maximum function. The rehabilitation clinical nurse assists patients in adapting to an altered lifestyle, while providing a therapeutic environment for client's and their family's development. The rehabilitation clinical nurse designs and implements treatment strategies that are based on scientific nursing theory related to self-care and that promote physical, psychosocial, and spiritual health. Rehabilitation Nurses perform in roles as Teachers, Caregivers, Collaborators and Client Advocates. As a member of an interdisciplinary team you will add "Life to Years" for the patients you will serve.
Full-time, Part-time, and PRNavailable
Spinal Cord Injury Unit
Traumatic Brain Injury Unit
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. BSN preferred. Associate degree candidates may be considered with active enrollment in baccalaureate degree program in nursing within six months of date of hire.
- 1 year of clinical experience in a rehabilitation or acute care setting.
- Sound judgment skills with reference to nursing ethical guidelines and patient care.
- Must be compassionate toward patients and family members.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team of various medical professionals
- District of Columbia nursing license or eligibility of such.
- Evidence of current AHA BLS certification. Specialty certification preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Shares information about the disease processes, underlying disabilities, and teaches nursing techniques to help patients and their families develop the self-care skills necessary to move toward wellness on the illness-wellness continuum.
- Prepares patients and their families for future self-management and decision-making responsibilities by fostering patients' independence and goal achievement.
- Coordinates educational activities and uses appropriate resources to develop and implement an individualized teaching and discharge plan with patients and their families.
- Possesses the specialized knowledge and clinical skills necessary to provide care for people with physical disability and chronic illness as indicated in the MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN) nursing policies and procedures.
- Utilizing a Contemporary Primary Nursing Care Delivery Model, implements a plan of care by providing nursing care and education to maintain and restore function and prevent complications and further loss.
- Continually evaluates the effectiveness of the plans of care and ensure that any required changes are carried out and communicated to all parties involved, including the patient.
- Performs hands-on nursing care by utilizing the nursing process to achieve quality outcomes for patients encouraging the patient to be as independent as possible in partnership with Rehabilitation Care Technicians (RCTs).
- Documents patient care activities in an accurate and timely manner using the electronic documentation system and Functional Improvement Measures (FIM) Ratings.
- Provides direction and supervision of RCTs, demonstrates professional judgment, problem solving techniques, time-management principles, and delegates appropriately.
- Participates in patient and family conferences as indicated while collaborating with the patient, family and other team members to establish short and long term treatment goals.
- Develops goals, in collaboration with patients, their families, and the rehabilitation team, that are oriented to wellness behavior and are reality based and that encourage socialization with others, and promote maximal independence for patients with disabilities or chronic disabling conditions.
- Coordinates nursing care activities in collaboration with other members of the interdisciplinary rehabilitation team to facilitate achievement of overall goals.
- Obtains specialty certification and encourages ongoing professional development via pursuit of advanced degrees, participation on committees and/or professional organizations while promoting the improvement of nursing care and the advancement of professional rehabilitation nursing.
- Advocates for policies and services that promote the quality of life for individuals with disabilities and participates in activities that will positively influence the community's awareness of disabilities and applies nursing research to clinical practice and participates in nursing research studies.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams. Keywords: Acute rehabilitation nurse, ARN, RN, Registered Nurse, acute care, Nurse, rehab nurse, rehabilitation RN, CRRN, Washington D.C. nu
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Back to top