PRN Nursing Supervisor
About MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN)
At MNRN, we are known for our patient focus and providing exceptional access to the best care. Our reputation makes our employees proud. But that's not enough. Working here, you have the opportunity to continuously improve yourself through the meaningful work, the impact you make, the supportive interactions with fiercely loyal colleagues, and the many ways to learn, through mentorship, a diverse patient population, and exposure to a variety of areas of care.
And finally, our employees can see first-hand how they make their patients' lives better, oftentimes developing deep rooted relationships. We strive to provide the best care to our patients and are dedicated to the betterment of each other and a better you.
Best Care. Better You.
General Summary of Position
The Clinical Nursing Supervisor reports to the Director, Nursing Resources and has accountability for managing resources, to ensure quality, cost-effective delivery of culturally competent patient care for specific patient populations across multiple units. The Clinical Nursing Supervisor is recognized as a professional role model and clinical expert, and promotes a professional environment that supports continuous learning. This is accomplished by direct action, delegation, coaching and support of division of nursing staff and shared governance activities.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in Nursing is required. Masters degree in Nursing or other related field is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: At least three (3) years of Nursing experience with demonstrated increased responsibilities (i.e. Charge Nurse, Preceptor, Supervisory/Management experience).
LICENSE/CERT/REG: Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia. ACLS required.
SKILLS: Must possess a high level of both clinical and people management problem-solving skills; Analytical capability to create solutions to optimize patient care, to include determining appropriate work methods and task sequences.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
- Assumes clinical supervision for multiple units on a designated shift. Consults, advises or informs appropriate managers concerning clinical issues, needs and problems on the assigned tour of duty. Keeps the Director, Nursing Staffing Resources and Assistant Vice President (AVP), Nursing Services informed of department activities during those shifts.
- Coordinates inter- and intra-departmental operations related to the delivery of patient care to include appropriate staffing for each nursing unit. Conducts unit and patient rounds to ensure delivery of patient care as indicated by MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital Standards of Care.
- Collaborates with nursing management (Nursing Managers, Assistant Nursing Managers) in the assessment of staff competencies. Participates in assessing staff performance against objectives; coaches, mentors, develops and evaluates employees to achieve behaviors aligned with the organization's vision, mission and values, and Magnet criterion and performance standards. Provides in-service education on the tour of duty for personnel in conjunction with clinical specialist. Demonstrates the competencies, knowledge and behaviors, to meet specific patient needs.
- Ensures compliance with unit, divisional and hospital policies, procedures, Department of Health and The Joint Commission (TJC) regulations/standards and takes corrective action when deficiencies occur. Maintains knowledge of current trends and development in the field of nursing through reading the appropriate literature and attending related seminars, conferences, etc.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains effective relationships, working agreements and quality partnerships, to ensure quality patient care across the continuum, to secure resources to support evidence based patient care and to assure compliance with current professional policies, procedures, and protocols and nursing standards relevant to the patient population.
- Creates a professional atmosphere and an environment of coaching and development that supports shared governance. Directly supports all shared governance activities. Attends meetings and participates on committees as required. Provides clinical leadership through role modeling professional practice behaviors and maintain role accountabilities of the staff.
- Works collaboratively with the Nursing Executive Team to seek and utilize information (including research findings) to support a budget, which meets organizational objectives, patient care standards and quality of care. Assists in the development and establishment of goals and objectives for their designated area of responsibility.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact:
Meet Some of MedStar National Rehabilitation Network's Employees
Assistant Nurse Manager
Baekcheol provides quality care to nursing patients in MedStar National Rehabilitation Network’s Spinal Cord and Orthopedic Units. He helps them progress and prepares them for discharge.
Back to top