About MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN)
At MNRN, we are known for our patient focus and providing exceptional access to the best care. Our reputation makes our employees proud. But that's not enough. Working here, you have the opportunity to continuously improve yourself through the meaningful work, the impact you make, the supportive interactions with fiercely loyal colleagues, and the many ways to learn, through mentorship, a diverse patient population, and exposure to a variety of areas of care.
And finally, our employees can see first-hand how they make their patients' lives better, oftentimes developing deep rooted relationships. We strive to provide the best care to our patients and are dedicated to the betterment of each other and a better you.
Best Care. Better You.
General Summary of Position
The Office Assistant will perform a variety of assigned clerical and patient care duties essential to the daily operations of the assigned department. These duties may vary by department and/or site and may include: patient registration, patient scheduling, coordinating the physician order re-certification process, insurance verification and coordination of services for patients, charge entry and reconciliation functions, co-payment and daily cash receipt responsibilities, assisting with medical record operations on a daily basis, greeting, registering and escorting patients, completing patient set-ups, turning over patient rooms and ensuring that the exam room is properly cleaned and prepped, performing other patient care duties determined by the therapist or physician, editing and distributing clinical dictations, order and maintain clinical and administrative supplies, creates patient registration packets for patients and/or billing department, and providing front office and/call center coverage and assistance.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or G.E.D. required; Associate's Degree (A.A.) or a Bachelor's Degree from a college or university in healthcare or related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 3 months of related experience/and or training in a fast paced medical office setting for Therapy/Ambulatory offices; minimum of 1 year experience in a medical office required or a combination of experience and education will be accepted for Outpatient Physician Centers. Experience working in a role involving customer service preferred.
SKILLS: The incumbent in this role should first and foremost have excellent customer service, as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills. This person should have a basic knowledge of Microsoft office products including Word, Excel and Outlook. In order to function efficiently, the Office Assistant will be required to be a highly organized, process oriented individual who has the ability to multi-task, be flexible and be a self-starter. This person should have the ability to follow instructions and assist visitors and/or patients without compromising safety, service, care or efficiency. The incumbent should also be friendly and professional when interacting with patients and visitors at all times. This person will be the initial face and the initial voice of the clinic and should be able to project a positive and professional image at all times.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Promptly answers assigned extensions using the correct salutation and follows scriptand completes patient reminder calls processes and procedures as assigned.
- Greets and assists patients on the telephone and in person by triaging patient inquiries and concerns to appropriate clinical and non-clinical team members.
- Completes the preliminary intake efficiently, accurately and completely; performs patient updates, scanning, registration, patient schedulingof initial and follow-up appointments based on insurance guidelines, and messaging in the department's practice management (PM) system (if applicable), electronic health record (EHR) or electronic medical record (EMR) depending on department/site.
- Performs insurance verification and coordinates services/authorizations for patients, as assigned.
- Completes and/or ensures accurate collection of copayments and copayment reconciliation, charge entry reconciliation, preparation of bank deposits and cash receipt logs, as assigned.
- Demonstrates proficiency with the billing portion of the PM system to include: guarantor information, benefit information, insurance information, insurance priority, episode of care information, open HMO referrals, alternate insurances and system notes (if applicable).
- Assembles financial paperwork and medical record paperwork for physicians and/or clinical team; assists patients with completing of required office forms, reviews all patient information for accurateness and completeness and witnesses all financial forms as required. Communicates duplicate or multiple medical record accounts to appropriate medical records personnel for merging.
- Requests and obtains referrals, medical records or diagnostic reports from internal and external providers, as assigned.
- Monitors and handles case management for patients in the EHR system, as assigned.
- Maintains waiting area in clean and neat condition, restocking materials as needed.
- Monitors administrative supplies and keeps administrative supplies at par levels.
- Responds to all payer-specific questions from patients and clinical providers, as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Back to top