Medical Assistant – Float
About MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN)
At MNRN, we are known for our patient focus and providing exceptional access to the best care. Our reputation makes our employees proud. But that's not enough. Working here, you have the opportunity to continuously improve yourself through the meaningful work, the impact you make, the supportive interactions with fiercely loyal colleagues, and the many ways to learn, through mentorship, a diverse patient population, and exposure to a variety of areas of care.
And finally, our employees can see first-hand how they make their patients' lives better, oftentimes developing deep rooted relationships. We strive to provide the best care to our patients and are dedicated to the betterment of each other and a better you.
Best Care. Better You.
General Summary of Position
The Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting in providing safe, nursing care by providing specific and assigned procedures that require training, skills and experience. Duties include assisting the Provider with patient treatment, care, and triage, assisting the nursing staff with patient care and administrative duties as well as Substance abuse screening, as required. The position requires good communication skills and the ability to interact with a variety of personnel, while being customer sensitive.
EDUCATION:High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of six months experience in a clinical setting. Medical Assistant Registration/Certification.
LICENSE/CERT/REG: CPR Certification, Heart Saver Participation Card
SKILLS: The ideal candidate will be able to successfully complete a number of moderately complex, varied though standardized tasks. Performs a variety of assigned clerical and patient care duties essential to daily operations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews the last physician order to assure that all required information is in the medical record (last dictation, lab and x-ray reports).
- Assures that the medical record has adequate progress notes, physician order and physician charge sheet.
- Prepares the examination room for the patients' visits (assures availability of
- ophthalmoscope, otoscope, reflex hammer, tuning fork and measuring tape).
- Monitors the waiting area for arrival of assigned patients.
- Greets the patient and escorts them to the examination room.
- Contacts the physician when the first patient arrives in the examination room.
- Seeks physician's input prior to placing a late arrival patient in the examination room.
- Performs and records vital signs in the medical record (writes deferred in the medical record when not done).
- Weighs all new patients and "in to out" patients.
- Reviews medication with the patient and documents in the medical record.
- Chaperones physician with patients of the opposite sex as requested by the physician.
- Checks on physician and patient every 15 minutes when the physician is with a patient of the opposite sex but is not chaperoned.
- Writes problems on problem list.
- Remains available, in an area where the physician and patient are located, throughout the day to assure accessibility.
- Escorts or directs patients to co-pay/scheduling area.
- Performs EKGs as ordered by the physician.
- Performs minor dressing changes.
- Performs catherizations, collects urine specimens, administers medications, draws blood and checks client's blood sugar/glucometer as ordered by the physician.
- Documents in the medical record when a patient fails to keep an appointment.
- Cleans rooms after the patient's visit.
- Reports to the RN/Nurse Practitioner or Physician any adverse patient symptoms, i.e. blood pressure, wound measurement, irregular pulse, etc.
- Monitors outpatient area for cleanliness, orderliness and is responsible for keeping personal area clean and orderly.
- Additional duties may be assigned, as necessary.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Meet Some of MedStar National Rehabilitation Network's Employees
Assistant Nurse Manager
Baekcheol provides quality care to nursing patients in MedStar National Rehabilitation Network’s Spinal Cord and Orthopedic Units. He helps them progress and prepares them for discharge.
Back to top