Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant- COTA
About MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN)
At MNRN, we are known for our patient focus and providing exceptional access to the best care. Our reputation makes our employees proud. But that's not enough. Working here, you have the opportunity to continuously improve yourself through the meaningful work, the impact you make, the supportive interactions with fiercely loyal colleagues, and the many ways to learn, through mentorship, a diverse patient population, and exposure to a variety of areas of care.
And finally, our employees can see first-hand how they make their patients' lives better, oftentimes developing deep rooted relationships. We strive to provide the best care to our patients and are dedicated to the betterment of each other and a better you.
Best Care. Better You.
General Summary of Position
Provides direct occupational therapy services to patients including treatment, training and equipment recommendations under the direct supervision of a licensed licensed occupational therapist. Occupational Therapy Assistants provide ADL evaluation under the direct supervision of a licensed Occupational Therapist. Independently serves as a clinical resource to other staff in areas of expertise. Independently provides staff education, project
development, and staff development at supervisor's request. Provides leadership and role modeling for other COTA staff to meet service area needs. Provides resource skills in area of clinical expertise.
EDUCATION: DC licensure or eligibility for Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
EXPERIENCE: Professional competency as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. Demonstrated independent use of varied treatment approaches. Demonstrated independence of varied evaluation under the supervision of a licensed
occupational therapist. Two years clinical experience in setting preferred.Continuing Education is area of clinical expertise.
LICENSE/CERT/REG: Graduate of an accredited Occupational Therapy Assistant program.
Associates Degree as an Occupational Therapy Assistant
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides effective and efficient evidence based care. a. Provides patient care duties, under the supervision of a licensed therapist, as it relates to occupational therapy following accreditation guidelines, professional code of ethics, and standards of practice to include: ADL evaluation/ re-evaluation, treatment planning, DME recommendations and discharge planning. b. Provides education to and training to patients and their families/caregivers. c. Accesses appropriate additional information for individualized patient care. d. Demonstrates sound clinical reasoning during patient care to maximize effective and safe outcomes.
- Completes accurate and timely documentation. a. Maintains accurate and timely documentation to include clinical interventions provided, discharge and equipment recommendations, charges, and prescriptions. Documentation reflects need for acute rehab level of care to include patient/ family education, training, treatment intensity and duration. b. Follows Medstar NRH documentation policy. c. Writes legible conference reports, patient flowsheets, time off checklists and all other written documents in a timely manner. d. Completes outcome data according to department guidelines.
- Demonstrates effective time management and meets productivity expectations. a. Meets established productivity targets. b. Maintains accurate schedules for all patients and professional activities. c. Is timely, punctual, and is prepared for meetings
- Utilizes professional communication in decision making and problem solving. a. Consistently communicates & conducts self in a professional manner. b. Uses written, verbal, and non-verbal communication, appropriate to the specific audience. c. Participates in team conferences and family conferences as appropriate. d. Collaborates interventions with other team members towards an interdisciplinary approach. e. Actively participates in general staff and team meetings. f. Communicates opportunities for process improvement that impacts patient care & operations
- Participates in developmental activities for continued professional growth. a. Takes initiative in pursuing and directing continuing education for professional growth and competency for self. b. Serves as a resource and preceptor for new employee and student orientation for the Occupational Therapy Service and team based activities. c. Acts as a clinical resource for other staff as evidenced by development and presentation of inservices and providing co-treatments in the area of clinical specialty. d. Responsibilities in development and implementation of goals and objectives for the program area as delegated by Management and/or Direct Supervisor. e. Demonstrates initiative in completion of assigned responsibilities related to program development in area of clinical specialty, under the guidance of Management and/or Direct Supervisor. f. Takes leadership role in development of in-service and continuing education programs in area(s) of expertise. g. Presents formal and informal information in the community in area(s) of expertise. h. Participates in development and implementation of goals and objectives for the program area as delegated by Clinical Supervisor or Management. i. Participates in ongoing clinical and administrative system development, data collection, and process improvement to assure optimal functioning of service area. j. Participates in peer review, program evaluation, and process improvement activities on a regular basis and for special projects. k. Assists in developing, revising or reviewing treatment guidelines in specialty area as delegated by the Clinical Supervisor or Management. l. Serves as Clinical Instructor for COTA students and volunteers
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact:
Back to top