Senior Product Designer, Creation and Publishing Tools
- Flexible / Remote
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our mission hinges on design: designing a product that helps readers discover the stories that matter to them; designing an ecosystem that supports and rewards quality writing; designing an experience that respects intelligence and is worth paying for. We are building this future, one product release at a time, and looking to designers to help lead the way.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer to lead the redesign of the core feature set — the Medium editor. You will have the opportunity to reimagine how writers create and publish on Medium. This is a high-impact role with the opportunity to shape how millions of people discover and share ideas every day.
What you'll do:
- Lead the design vision for creation, editing, and publishing tools on Medium, setting a new standard of elegance and virtuosity for how people share ideas online.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and editorial teams to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Use competitive research, user research, and a keen product design sensibility to develop solutions that are innovative, intuitive, and compelling for Medium creators.
Who you are:
- You have designed creation and editing tools before, and have a deep understanding of the space.
- You can make complex workflows feel deceptively simple.
- You love big sweeping ideas but also enjoy the details. From product ideation and system thinking to kerning and grids, you demonstrate a capacity and enthusiasm for the spectrum of design.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and have shown an ability to bring clarity and structure to a complex system or user experience challenge.
- You have strong visual awareness and sensibilities.
- You’re a great communicator who can design frameworks to help us find opportunities, brainstorm and illustrate concepts, and effectively tell the stories of your ideas.
- You thrive when you’re working with a small team in an ever-changing environment. You are confident, willing to learn, and want to collaborate with others to design world-class experiences.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
Please note that communication regarding your application, interviews, and job offers will only come from e-mail addresses ending in "@medium.com". Anything else is not a legitimate outreach.
Back to top