Senior Product Designer
- Flexible / Remote
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our mission hinges on design: designing a product that helps readers discover the stories that matter to them; designing an ecosystem that supports and rewards quality writing; designing an experience that respects intelligence and is worth paying for. We are building this future, one product release at a time, and looking to designers to help lead the way.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer for our Creator Experience tea with exceptional design vision and craftsmanship, who can execute in a fast-paced environment. This is an impactful role with the opportunity to collaboratively shape how millions of people discover and share ideas every day.
Creator Experience teamThe Creator Experience team’s mission is to make Medium the best place for writing and publishing on the internet. That mission encompasses designing features and tools for our creators, whether they are individual writers or multi-person publishing teams.
What you'll do:
- Envision and execute design for the product experience, from high-level user journeys and concept work to detailed interactions, flows, and visual design.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and editorial teams to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. You set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate.
- Evaluate the success of existing products and features, and develop designs to support business objectives.
- Let users lead the way. Our users inform where we are going. Our teams focus on listening to users, and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
Who you are:
- You have 5-7 years of digital product design experience. Digital media and/or editorial experience is a plus.
- You love big sweeping ideas but also enjoy the details. From product ideation and system thinking to kerning and grids, you demonstrate a capacity and enthusiasm for the spectrum of design.
- You have demonstrated experience leading the design process from start to finish. Whether creating a research plan, brainstorming, creating wireframes, crafting detailed UI/UX, prototyping, or just building a Powerpoint, you feel comfortable using a variety of methods and tools to go from idea to reality, bringing others along with you through the process.
- You have experience designing experiments — you know how to use hypotheses to drive solutions and apply qualitative and quantitative data to make design decisions.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and have shown an ability to bring clarity and structure to a complex system or user experience challenge.
- You have strong visual awareness and sensibilities.
- You’re a great communicator who can design frameworks to help us find opportunities, brainstorm and illustrate concepts, and effectively tell the stories of your ideas.
- You thrive when you’re working with a small team in an ever-changing environment. You are confident, willing to learn, and want to collaborate with others to design world-class experiences.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
Please note that communication regarding your application, interviews, and job offers will only come from e-mail addresses ending in "@medium.com". Anything else is not a legitimate outreach.
Back to top