Senior Engineering Manager - Creator Platform
- Flexible / Remote
Medium's mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are crafting the best place for reading and writing on the internet — a place where today's smartest writers, experts, and storytellers can share big, innovative ideas.
We're looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead Medium's Pogs (Pubs and Blogs) team, where you'll lead a team of engineers that builds the core publishing platform - which impacts the millions of readers and creators.
You'll have the opportunity to grow and inspire a team of talented engineers, work collaboratively to define team roadmaps, and ultimately enable the team to perform and execute to its full potential. We prioritize fast iteration without compromising quality, while maintaining an attention to detail that leads to the kind of thoughtful user experiences that we're known for.
At Medium, we are proud of our product, our team, and our culture. Medium's website and mobile apps are accessed by millions of users each day. We're looking for mindful, empathetic, and self-aware leaders to join our team and help us move thinking forward. With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Medium is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
What will you do?
- You will plan and support career development for the members of your team.
- You will inspire and grow engineers through mentorship, empowerment, and by challenging them to do their best work.
- You will partner with product management and design to help set priorities and plan the roadmap for your team.
- You will facilitate technical design discussions, remove blockers and align stakeholders.
- You will drive programs in engineering reliability, productivity, process and quality.
- You will recruit and retain best-in-class engineering talent to build a diverse high performing team.
- You will inspire an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as a coach, mentor, and technical advisor.
Who are you?
- You have 5+ years leading and managing high performance engineering teams(2+ years as a manager).
- You have experience running teams in an Agile or Scrum environment.
- You are flexible, dedicated, and curious.
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic when necessary.
- You have a passion for mentoring and coaching engineers.
- You have a track record of delivering features and functionality on time with high quality.
- You have excellent communication skills.
Nice to have...
- You have experience building CMS or related platforms.
- You have experience with AWS(RDS, SQS, DynamoDB).
- You have experience working in a service-oriented or microservice architecture.
- You have deep knowledge of API design principles and best-practices, caching, resiliency, RPC, REST, and HTTP.
This role is based in our SF or NYC office, and available remotely for U.S. workers.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to top