Principal Software Engineer - Web Experience
- Flexible / Remote
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are making a strong push to reduce what we call "user friction" -- areas of our product which are difficult to use or provide a poor experience. A central part of that effort is web performance. We recognize that our product needs to be faster while still maintaining our design principles in order to delight our users.
Towards that end, we've started a web experience team. Our goal is to improve user-centric metrics collected from our user base and establish SLOs in order to maintain a performant product long term. We’re looking for engineers with deep technical expertise in web performance who can help guide our technical strategy and potentially own this area of our product.
What will you do?
- You'll research ways in which Medium can optimize performance within its web product
- You'll build prototypes to test hypotheses and understand design/product tradeoffs
- You’ll implement and ship changes to our technical architecture which improve performance of the site
- You'll collaborate with and advise other senior engineers on a small engineering team
Who are you?
- You have 12+ years of software engineering experience
- You have 5+ years of experience in performance engineering
- You have strong expertise in React
- You are a team player willing to lend support when necessary
- You respectfully challenge your peers, and welcome being challenged
We'd particularly love it if:
- You have experience with GraphQL APIs
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
Please note that communication regarding your application, interviews, and job offers will only come from e-mail addresses ending in "@medium.com". Anything else is not a legitimate outreach.
Back to top