- Flexible / Remote
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who will help us build a new future for the written word on the web, as part of a team that translates data into actionable insights. Broadly, Data Scientists at Medium focus on analysis — interpreting data, sharing insights, and developing models that improve the product. We work together to analyze patterns at a macro level, answering questions the rest of the company hasn’t thought to ask yet.
You’ll spend most of your time working on a product team: a group of engineers, designers, a product manager, and you, the Data Scientist, all working together in a small group to build new features. You’ll extract key data and findings, define metrics, evaluate A|B tests, identify opportunities based on the data, and share new insights that no one considered before. You’ll bring data to bear on a set of thorny questions at the intersection of tech and media, helping us grow our ecosystem of readers and writers and build a new economic model for written content.
On the day to day, you will
- Partner with a diverse range of stakeholders in editorial, engineering, marketing and product management to extract actionable insight from our usage data
- Be an organization-wide advocate for evidence-based decision-making and the use of data
- Build dashboards and reports that provide visibility into how people use our products.
- Build statistical models that help us understand the ins and outs of how users experience our products
- Design and analyze experiments to answer key business questions.
- Build data pipelines and models that enable incisive analyses and performant data visualizations
You should have
- 2+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis at a consumer-facing technology company
- Experience with data pipelining, from data preparation to analysis to deployment
- Experience writing and optimizing complex SQL queries on large data sets
- Knowledge of inferential statistics, especially in an experimentation setting (hypothesis testing, power analysis, experimental design)
- Experience communicating the results of analyses with product and leadership teams to influence the strategy of the product
- Experience manipulating large data sets through SQL or Python
Nice to have
- Development experience in Python
- Experience developing in Looker
- Natural Language processing (NLP) with large data sets
- Experience in big data technologies like Spark
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
Please note that communication regarding your application, interviews, and job offers will only come from e-mail addresses ending in"@medium.com". Anything else is not a legitimate outreach.
Back to top