VP, Product Design
- New York, NY
Medidata: Conquering Diseases Together
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,400 customers and partners access the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com.
Medidata is the leader in developing the technologies that allow our customers to get the medicines to patients faster. Building on our long history of delivering world-class clinical applications to the life sciences industry, Medidata’s Product Organization is staffed with a passionate team of product management experts, tackling the industry’s most difficult technical challenges in order to push the boundaries of possibility for our clients and most importantly, for patients. Together we can deliver meaningful advanced digital transformation to the industry in order to achieve our vision.
We are seeking a creative, passionate and seasoned enterprise leader to guide the vision, execution and oversight for Product Design & User Experience at Medidata. The Head of Product Design will promote a customer empathy and mindset across the organization and grow design as a key strategic capability and competitive advantage through evangelizing user research, design systems, information architecture, interaction design, and other core design disciplines. Additionally, they will work closely with product and engineering to develop strategy, process, analytics, success metrics, and enterprise standards to scale design across a large organization while ensuring a coherent customer focused user experience across the breadth of the Medidata platform.
The Head of Product Design is also responsible for leading, inspiring, growing and empowering the people by ensuring decentralized but highly aligned teams have the scope, responsibility, and agency to deliver customer experiences that are coherent and empower our users as they bring novel and effective therapies to patients.
The ideal candidate will have proven leadership and cross functional management experience, able to move from the detailed surface details to broader enterprise issues. The candidate is able to communicate, evangelize, and inspire a diverse team of engineers, product owners, and UX designers as they design, model, document, analyze, plan, and build sustainable enterprise user experiences that lead to healthier and happier people across the world.
- Organize, manage and scale the global product design team located in NYC, San Francisco and London
- Establish and promote User Research and a Design-First mindset
- Evolve and evangelize the Medidata Design System, collaborating across the organization to unify the Medidata brand
- Ensure UX is a standard component of the development lifecycle, with a relentless focus on world-class UX/UI that meets customer goals.
- Establish a research function and collaborate with marketing sales and professional services on customer, user and market research
- Create and rollout process and tools to enhance UX/UI quality and productivity
- Support sales and other customer-facing teams in high-value meetings with prospects and customers
- Promote and present our customer engagement approach and product design methodology
- Cultivate a deep understanding of the Clinical Trials space, including engagement with all segments of the customer base
- Attract, Inspire, motivate and develop top talent
- Proven leadership leading scaling design in an enterprise SaaS platform.
- Extensive experience conducting and curating research including design thinking workshops, focus groups, user shadowing, usability testing
- Successful track record in collaborating across organizational functions and driving cross-functional initiatives
- Exceptional design skills and taste
- A strong understanding of the latest capabilities and techniques in web application development, including practical knowledge of HTML and AJAX
- Passionate, organized, smart, engaging, driven and technically savvy
- Able to establish mutual respect and a collaborative working relationship with their peers and wider teams
- Must be able to implement strong process in the technology organization
- Ability to set a very high bar and stretch goals, clearly communicate those goals and then infuse and inspire the team with a sense of purpose and urgency in attainment of those goals
- Flexible, able to adjust and change direction as the business environment and technology universe evolves and changes
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with all kinds of people at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to work through conflict, gain trust and persuasively influence outcomes
- Ability to address tactical issues in the short-term while maintaining strategic vision for the long-term
Your Education & Experience:
- 15+ years of relevant experience
- Bachelors degree
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Back to top