VP, Diversity & Belonging
- New York, NY
and Director+ levels
- Evolve Medidata’s current diversity and belonging strategy and develop key programs that will make a more inclusive culture and company
- Manage Medidata’s overall Business Resource Groups (BRGs) and elevate their role within the business
- Strengthen processes and continue to identify and build training programs to encourage greater diversity hiring within the business
- Partner with Global Procurement to e stablish a Supplier Diversity Strategy
- Relaunch the global D&B Leadership Council with refreshed priorities and structure for their mandate and responsibilities. Lead governance process and provide support to the global D&B Leadership Council to ensure strategic alignment and tracking of key initiatives
- Manage employee programs including mentoring and development opportunities
- Leverage the resources and centers of expertise within the Global Communications organization including platform development, analytics, research, and talent brand. Quantify and deepen communications impact, improve decision support and drive outcomes
- Define a framework for measuring and tracking diversity, belonging and inclusion. Design the systems and tools needed to support (eg. scorecards, dashboards, etc.) Develop an accountability strategy to drive organizational ownership and individual leadership goals
- Strengthen quarterly Executive Summaries of insights for each function. Leverage data to generate insights and translate into actions that support our D&B goals. Drive transparency and accountability across all levels of the business
- Conduct research, analysis and benchmarking across other organizations to provide insight on developing an inclusive workforce that respects diversity at all levels
- Work with the Diversity Practitioner to create a process to track progress and identify key areas to improve diversity hiring
- Work with life sciences industry experts within Medidata to improve access for underrepresented and underserved groups in clinical research, improving healthcare services and promoting health equality for all.
- Collaborate with diversity executives in Medidata’s industry leading ecosystem of Pharma, Biotech and Clinical Research Organizations to advance diversity and inclusion across healthcare.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 15 years experience preferably in an operational, strategic or diversity, equity and inclusion role
- Examples of programs and initiatives that the Vice President, Diversity & Belonging have launched and revamped
- Proven success of taking a flexible approach when working with leadership
- Experience working with Corporate Social Responsibility and Social Impact programs
- Experience in embedding Diversity & Belonging Principles into business processes
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and agility and ability to build trust, credibility and navigate a complex landscape
- Passionate, engaged and energized with a strong sense of urgency
- Excellent leadership skills, including the ability to create and lead highly effective/efficient and successful teams
- Managerial experience managing direct reports
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Collaborate: Work up, down and across the organization to establish communication and credibility with all levels, via willingness to both teach and learn the business. This individual must be a highly effective, non-hierarchical, and influential leader who has led and motivated cross-cultural, geographically-dispersed teams. S/he must also be accustomed to working in a complex, matrixed corporate culture.
- Learn: Makes time to benchmark against industry best practices. Brings the ability to drive fresh ideas and perspectives while taking into account historical learnings.
- Execute: A high-energy self-starter, with a drive to succeed and willingness to take managed risks. Exceptional presentation/communication skills both internally and externally. Sets clear, ambitious goals and objectives for the talent acquisition function with frequent opportunities to monitor and review performance.
- Accelerate: A natural curiosity and drive to identify new ideas or opportunities. A cultivator of top talent. This individual is expected to build on the strong foundation in place, developing future leaders within the organization and fine-tuning performance.
- Disrupt: Inspires the team towards innovation and providing them with the tools and support necessary to achieve it.
- Acting with Honor and Character: Is a person of high character; is consistent and acts in line with a clear and visible set of values and beliefs; deals and talks straight; walks his/her talk; is direct and truthful but at the same time can keep confidences.
- Getting Organized: Is well organized, resourceful, and effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
- Getting Work Done Through Others: Manages people well; gets the most and best out of the people she/he has; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback; delegates and develops; keeps people informed; provides coaching for today and for the future.
- Managing Work Processes: Is an effective process, work flow, and systems designer; is good at figuring out what to measure to track progress; sets up systems that can almost manage themselves; is a master at the effectiveness and efficiency of work systems; can quickly diagnose and fix a work flow problem; always looking for incremental process improvement.
- Creativity and Innovative Thinker: Is well networked and versed in the transforming world of work. Can add perspective and new ideas to the HR and talent strategy for Medidata including a focus on digitizing HR and introducing next generation technologies and approaches that enhance Medidata’s brand and create a positive candidate experience.
- Evaluating and Deploying People Accurately: Reads people accurately; can diagnose strengths, weaknesses, and potential; knows what skills are required to fill a job or role; hires the best.
- Focusing on Action and Outcomes: Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on results, costs and the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything she/he starts.
- Communicating Effectively: Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
- Relating Skills: Warm, friendly, and interpersonally agile; easy to approach and talk to; relates well to all kinds of people; makes a pleasant first impression and builds solid relationships.
- Managing Diverse Relationships: Relates well to a wide variety of diverse styles, types, and classes; open to differences; effective up, down, sideways, inside, and outside; builds diverse networks; quick to find common ground; treats differences fairly and equitably; treats everyone as a preferred customer.
- Inspiring Others: Is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; builds motivated, high-performing teams; understands what motivates different people.
An undergraduate degree is required. An advanced degree, ideally an MBA, is desirable.
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Back to top