Sr. Software Engineer / Java Developer (Big Data / AWS)
We sit at the intersection of technology and Life Sciences industries. Humbly, we’ve been told that we are the leader in application software for the clinical development process, tackling real-world problems and making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere. With the current transformation in the life sciences industry, we are at the forefront of providing an advanced clinical development platform for our clients to further improve the accuracy, timeliness and ease of the data collection process. Our goal is to enable our customers to the deliver better treatments to waiting patients sooner. We are publicly traded (MDSO) with over 450 customers, customer retention rates above 98%, and the experience of supporting more than 9,500 clinical trials. We are still led by Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia.
As a Senior Applications Engineer, you will:● work as a member of an Agile Scrum team to achieve business results
● build solutions for data movement and transformation needs using Java code that leverages cloud technologies
● apply traditional and big data processing techniques to build the data stores that underpin our cloud-based data analytics platform
● build out our deployment pipeline to enable CI, CB and CD for our data processing infrastructure
● develop code and data-tier testing and automation for the products that we deliver
● mentor and support other members of the team
● participate in the establishment of standards and processes.
● drive technology direction and choices of technologies by making recommendations based on experience and research.
Skills and Qualifications
To be successful in this position, you will need:
● excellent communication skills
● passion for developing efficient, testable, and well-documented code
● an open-minded and pragmatic approach to the delivery of business value using a variety of tools and solutions
Required Technical Skills:
- 6+ years relevant Java development experience, Java 8 Streams and Lambdas preferred
- Experience with large volume mission critical production systems
- Experience with common Object-oriented design patterns as applied to Java
- Experience using Java technologies for data movement and processing
- Experience working with Maven and Git
- Experience ingesting and managing large volumes of XML data structures, preferable experience apply industry-specific standards, XJC/JAXB preferable
- Experience developing CI, CB, CD pipelines using tools such as Jenkins, Travis, GoCD, Maven, etc.
- Experience with Java Unit Test frameworks (JUnit, DBUnit)
- Linux experience - Bash scripting, command line
Technical Skills which are a nice to have:
- Experience with AWS EMR, SQS, RDS, ELB, Lambda and Redshift.
- Experience with Big Data and Streaming technologies, with tools such as Spark, Hadoop, Kinesis and/or Kafka
- Experience using AWS and the AWS SDK.
- Experience with AWS environment issues such as cross-VPC communications, security group management, IAM role-based code execution, etc.
- Agile/Sprint planning methodology, JIRA experience a plus
Education:● Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related discipline (Masters is desirable)
● AWS certification a plus/nice to have
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top