Sr. DevOps / Cloud Network Engineer
Our Industry: Where we play
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development. Our work ensures that life-saving drugs and medical devices get to market faster. We are a certified “Great Place to Work” with highly engaged employees focused on improving the health outcomes of patients across the globe.
We develop cloud-based enterprise products and services and are a world leader driving the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of the most exciting areas for innovation globally. With annual revenue in 2016 of nearly $500 million, we are publicly traded (MDSO) with over 850 customers and customer retention rates above 99%. The Medidata Clinical Cloud® is the primary technology solution powering clinical trials for 18 of the world's top 25 global pharmaceutical companies and is used by 18 of the top 25 medical device developers—from study design and planning through execution, management and reporting. Our customers include global pharmaceutical companies, biotech, diagnostic and device firms, leading academic medical centers, technical partners and contract research organizations.
By automating over 12,000 clinical trials to date, Medidata has the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. Today, Medidata pioneers innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing a new level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials. That means better treatments reach waiting patients sooner.
We know that diverse teams win. It is our diversity and inclusiveness that fuels innovation and sparks our passion and commitment to patient health. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 1900 employees.
The Senior Cloud Network Engineer's responsibilities include:
- the design, implementation, operation, deployment, maintenance and troubleshooting of our cloud based network infrastructure services - with a strong focus on automation.
- deploying, monitoring, and troubleshooting network infrastructure components in Medidata’s production, cloud-based hosting environment and develop/maintain services for network infrastructure management.
- providing technical expertise and will be a key player in driving change in how product is provisioned, maintained and monitored to be resilient, stable, and highly available, enabling Medidata to meet its SLAs with customers.
- maintaining and troubleshooting live production network services in the event of outage, performance, or functionality issue.
- having hands-on skills in hybrid clouds. This position promotes sharing information with others in changing skillsets and thought processes.
- Contributing technical efforts to design and deploy approved network infrastructure services to the cloud – for Non Production and Production based services and Disaster Recovery
- Identify and assist in improving Network Infrastructure tools/services with automation and process enhancements
- Ensure a consistent, quality operating level across the hosting environment – full monitoring/logging, scalable, highly available, deployable
- Troubleshoot and maintain critical production and testing environments. Diagnose and address performance and tuning issues whenever and wherever they occur. Identify recurring issues and collaborate with Release and Operations team(s) on resolution plan
- Providing feedback and insight on designing and scaling of SaaS and cloud-based environments and tools
- Create and maintain documentation such as Standard Operating Procedures, architecture diagrams, high level platform scalability work flow diagrams, process and procedural documents for implementation and support teams to support configuration management for all environments
- Create knowledge base articles that can be used by the organization in response to routine or complex incidents
- Provide hosting guidance on new components according to specifications from the Product Management team
- Work with Release Engineering team to understand software and business requirements, prioritize issues and set clear expectations on deliverables and resolution
- Able to participate in multiple cross platform projects and cross functional teams to ensure the projects are successful
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
- 4+ years of Network Infrastructure design, development, implementation, and support experience
- Hands on experience with AWS cloud services (VPC, NACLs, Route Tables, ELBs, Security Groups, Direct Connect, VPN, Cloudformation, CloudWatch, EC2, S3) or comparable Cloud providers
- Routing- Layer 3, Switching – Layer 2, NAT, WAN protocols
- High proficiency with routing protocols (RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP), VPN, Load Balancers, and various firewall technologies and vendors
- Network Applications/Protocols - Familiarity with DHCP, DNS, WINS, FTP, TFTP, SSH, TLS, LDAP, HTTP/S
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP and IP subnetting
- Proven experience working with Unix/Linux systems
- Experience with Network Infrastructure configuration management – Chef, Ansible, Puppet, Salt
- Experience providing production operations support on client facing systems and products in a hosting/vendor environment
- Proven ability to streamline and automate technical processes using various disciplines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to provide strategic vision for selection, implementation and support of network technology solutions
- Able to thrive in an agile, fast paced, high energy and fun work environment
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to understand operational requirements and translate to technical solutions
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to lead projects/initiatives
- Conduct project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparisons
- Experience with high traffic large-scale applications and associated technologies
- Experience with cloud based or other monitoring solutions (New Relic, Pingdom, Solarwinds, Nagios)
Your Preferred Competencies:
- Software development experience using any dynamic language
- Knowledge of Agile methodology
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows server systems, IIS, Active Directory
- Experience scripting using Bash
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
- THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
- TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
- DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
- LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
- TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top