Sr. Database Engineer ( Windows / MS SQL Server )
The MS SQL Senior Database Engineer is responsible for supporting and coordinating all database activities in area of specialty at Medidata. This includes running scripts, database tuning, monitoring, back-up/recovery, designing/creating databases in area of specialty, resolving complex client related problems, and monitoring all database related work orders relating to their area of specialty in a timely manner.
• Responsible for the overall performance, tuning, backup/recovery of all installed MSSQL Server (SQL 2008, 2014, 2016) databases in area of specialty
• Act as Subject Matter Expert for Service Delivery in one or more of the following specialties: Data Warehousing, SQL, Business Intelligence, Business Analytics, Clustering, etc.
• Verify and run scripts written by Technical Services in Production
• Diagnose and resolve production problems in area of specialty
• Develop optimization plans for client databases.
• Proactive Maintenance and monitoring of all Instances of SQL 2008, 2014, 2016 In area of specialty
• In a team environment, successfully design, test and deploy database schema in area of specialty.
• Work closely with other IT team members to successfully maintain and monitor the MSSQL servers.
• Work closely with R&D to identify any possible performance bottlenecks.
• Plan and implement database upgrades in area of specialty as needed.
• To ensure that all client requests are handled in a timely manner.
• Adhere to and suggest improvements to the Change Management Process.
• MSSQL security and planning; maintaining and creating user accounts for proper access; MSSQL Agent job scheduling
and monitoring; MSSQL/Server system tables; MSSQL Profiler and Enterprise Manager; and Server monitoring to ensure
adequate CPU, disk space, and memory on all MSSQL servers.
• Write custom scripts in area of specialty to automate various daily DBA operations.
• Translates trending and profiling into performance analysis and designs process improvements for area(s) of specialty/specialties
• Follows documented processes and procedures to solve complex problems
• Assists in creating documented processes and procedures to solve complex problems
• Consistently performs independent problem solving for specialty
• Acts as a subject matter expert and resource for problem solving
• Develops technical documents in collaboration with architecture team (e.g., infrastructure diagrams, requirements and constraints, installation qualification, checklists, data lifecycle management policies, etc.) for specialty area
• Trains peers and coworkers (IT colleagues, developers, product teams and professional services) in specialty area
• Builds and maintains partnerships with developers, product team members, etc., to influence process, product, and application development
• Recommend, implement, and maintain best practices and corporate standards
• Provide 24 x 7 production support on a rotating basis as needed.
• Identifies linkages of specialty area to other systems/ applications and communicates potential impact to peers and key stakeholders.
• Team player with strong communication skills
• Relevant degree preferred
• 8+ years. of experience in Database Engineering (or Administration) with MSSQL Serveras applicable
Specific Knowledge, Skills & Competencies Required:
• SQL Server knowledge of MSSQL 2008, 2014, 2016
• Knowledge of MSSQL Server administration tools
• Advanced knowledge of database administration and data management lifecycle to analyze complex issues and
implement appropriate solutions and optimize processes for the future in area of specialty
• Knowledge of advanced features of MSSQL 2014/2016 Performance Enhancements - In-Memory OLTP, Lock Priorities,
Buffer Pool Extensions preferred
• Experience with MSSQL in Virtual and Physical environments.
• High Availability/DR setup ( Ex: AlwaysOn, Cluster, Replication, Database Mirroring and SAN replication)
• Experience with advanced maintenance tasks (e.g., indexes, statistics, etc.)
• Experience with monitoring and analyzing MSSQL performance issues
• Ability to write and debug stored procedures
• Experience writing complex PowerShell scripts
• Familiarity with GitHub, Jira, Zendesk, SolarWinds systems
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with rapidly changing
priorities and work items based on business needs
• Proven ability to quickly learn and implement new technologies
Knowledge, Skills Competencies which are a plus but not required:
• AWS RDS/EC2 experience a plus
• Experience creating and implementing with SSRS/SSIS
• MySQL, Postgres, Mongo relational databases
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top