Software Engineer / Full Stack Developer
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence and delivered by #1 ranked industry experts, the Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes. Medidata serves more than 1,000 customers and partners worldwide and empowers more than 100,000 certified users every day to create hope for millions of patients. Discover the future of life sciences: www.mdsol.com
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
You will be working on Rave RTSM, Medidata's randomization and inventory management service. When patients participate in a clinical trial, they are randomized into different arms of that trial, which determine the treatments they'll receive. Some patients might receive a placebo, or varying doses of the drug being investigated. The randomization strategies are frequently complicated, and many experimental drugs might be tested simultaneously in the same trial. Our randomization service transforms our clients' trial designs (or protocols) into something concrete, receiving randomization requests and assigning patients to arms of the trial in response.
Inventory management is by nature tightly coupled with randomization. Once the subjects' treatments have been determined, the correct drugs must get to the right places on time, ready for dispensation to the correct patients. To do so, our software executes a sophisticated shipping algorithm, which calculates future treatment demands and sends out shipment orders for the appropriate drugs. Experimental treatments are frequently manufactured on a small scale, and as such efficient logistics management is essential.
Medidata is looking for a full-stack software engineer to design, enhance and implement new features and functionality in Medidata’s Randomization and Trial Supply Line Management (RTSM) Service - Rave RTSM.
Rave RTSM is a mature, single-instance, multi-tenant web application supporting hundreds of clinical trials. Our application is built with Ruby on Rails, uses a MySQL database and is hosted in AWS. Our front end uses HTML, CSS, jQuery, React, AJAX and BootStrap. As an engineer on Rave RTSM, you'll be challenged both to develop new features in response to market demand and improve the performance and scalability of the application to meet the rapidly growing user base.
As an Applications Engineer you will have the opportunity to work as an individual contributor on an Agile team of developers.
- Design and enhance features for a large-scale service environment using OO principles with a focus on performance, scalability, quality and extensibility
- Full stack development, including APIs, using Ruby on Rails
- Embrace test-driven development with complete code coverage and continuous integration
- Provide diagnostic support and fix bugs for service features
- Follow Medidata’s Standard Operating Procedures to ensure all software meets regulatory and company requirements
- Work with Agile team members, particularly Software Quality Assurance and Product Management, to write clear, concise and comprehensive feature files
- Participate in Agile working practices such as daily scrum meetings, sprint planning meetings, reviews and retrospectives
- Share your knowledge and experience with a highly motivated and collaborative team in regards to code reviews, software designs as well as all other engineering and business aspects
- Technical competency regarding feature design, enhancement and implementation within a single instance multi-tenant service environment
- Ability to solve complex problems and provide solutions that can be applied optimally in a service environment
- Strong cross team collaboration skills
- Effective communication skills to relay technical information to various cross functional teams and clients
- Effectively execute processes associated with the software development life cycle
- Experience supporting an entire stack built with Rails
- Experience with SQL optimization and database schema design (we use MySQL)
- Experience with Git
- Experience designing and writing unit tests, step definitions and scenarios to maintain a high level of code coverage and quality standards
- Experience working with Agile methods such as Scrum preferred
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Back to top