Senior Rails Applications Engineer
Our Industry: Where we play
We sit at the intersection of technology and Life Sciences industries. Humbly, we’ve been told that we are the leader in application software for the clinical development process, tackling real-world problems and making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere. With the current transformation in the life sciences industry, we are at the forefront of providing an advanced clinical development platform for our clients to further improve the accuracy, timeliness and ease of the data collection process. That means better treatments can reach waiting patients sooner. We are publicly traded (MDSO) with over 800 customers, customer retention rates above 99%, and the experience of supporting more than 12,000 clinical trials. We are still led by Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia.
The Software Engineer Function is responsible for hands-on development of Medidata’s software applications. The Engineer is one who works very quickly to resolve high impact, challenging, engineering problems while continuously raising the standard of quality in our products and services in a full solutions-oriented SaaS environment.
• Develop software applications and associated artifacts such as unit tests, installation programs and test automation code
• Apply good technical practices such as continuous integration, test automation, source code control and review
• Provide diagnostic support and bug fixing for software applications
• Follow Medidata’s Standard Operating Procedures to ensure all software meets regulatory and company requirements
• Work with Agile team members, particularly Software Quality Assurance and Product Management, to write clear, concise and comprehensive feature files
• Participate in Agile working practices such as daily scrum meetings, sprint planning meetings, reviews and retrospectives
• Utilizes appropriate methods to solve problems in an accurate and efficient manner
• Effectively communicates technical information and processes to relevant stakeholders (e.g., cross-functional groups, clients)
• Effectively executes processes associated with the software development life cycle
• Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of relevant concepts, applications, and programming languages
• Attend all appropriate team meetings
• Provides estimates in backlog grooming
• Identify tasks in planning
• Contribute to scenario writing
• Actively contribute at retrospectives
• Participate in experimental changes in organizational process arising from retrospectives
• Apply simple platform design principles locally
• Extend service contracts
• Apply BDD/TDD. Apply simple patterns
• Be aware of the impact of design on performance, e.g. through algorithmic complexity, N+1 fetching, etc
• Competent in tech stack of choice
• Deliver new areas of functionality
• Create unit tests and step definitions for test automation where appropriate.
• Participate in experimental changes in implementation process arising from retrospectives
• Submit pull requests and respond appropriately
• Perform local refactoring under the guidance of senior colleagues
• Initiate automated deployment to test environments.
• Access production logs.
• Diagnose issues while dealing with initial uncertainty and incomplete information
• Identify root causes
• Create fixes with unit tests where appropriate
• Provide technical impact assessment
• Read documentation and internal blogs
• Attend team presentations
• Participate as mentee
Your Education & Experience:
• Four-year college degree preferred; major in computer science, information systems or life sciences a plus
• Requires a minimum of 4 years of experience with relevant programming technologies, such as C#, Ruby, SQL or 2 years of experience and MS.
• Experience developing and/or maintaining a production application
• Experience working in a regulated environment preferred
• Experience with clinical research processes preferred
• Experience working with Agile methods such as Scrum preferred
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
• THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
• TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
• DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
• LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
• TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top