Senior Project Manager
Our Industry: Where we play
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development. Our work ensures that life-saving drugs and medical devices get to market faster. We are a certified “Great Place to Work” with highly engaged employees focused on improving the health outcomes of patients across the globe.
We develop cloud-based enterprise products and services and are a world leader driving the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of the most exciting areas for innovation globally. With annual revenue in 2016 of nearly $500 million, we are publicly traded (MDSO) with over 850 customers and customer retention rates above 99%. The Medidata Clinical Cloud® is the primary technology solution powering clinical trials for 18 of the world's top 25 global pharmaceutical companies and is used by 18 of the top 25 medical device developers—from study design and planning through execution, management and reporting. Our customers include global pharmaceutical companies, biotech, diagnostic and device firms, leading academic medical centers, technical partners and contract research organizations.
By automating over 12,000 clinical trials to date, Medidata has the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. Today, Medidata pioneers innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing a new level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials. That means better treatments reach waiting patients sooner.
We know that diverse teams win. It is our diversity and inclusiveness that fuels innovation and sparks our passion and commitment to patient health. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 1900 employees.
The Business Innovation Office (BIO) is a true business partner with all cross-functional leadership teams at Medidata to ensure the enterprise achieves scalability, productivity, and its vision for growth. As a member of the BIO team, the Senior Project Manager will partner with key business owners across Medidata to manage critical, high-visibility projects. In addition to planning, executing and evaluating projects, the Senior Project Manager will assist with business transformation strategy, roadmap planning, and the budget process. Building and managing project teams, partnering with project sponsors, and ensuring quality control throughout project lifecycles are central to this position.
- Build internal relationships with Medidata business owners to understand current strategic and tactical challenges to running their lines of business in a more scalable, efficient manner
- Align cross-functional business needs to contribute to building a unified roadmap of transformation projects in the proper sequence for the enterprise
- Possess excellent project management and communication skills across all areas of the business with the ability to identify opportunities for critical process improvement
- Lead vendor assessments and RFPs for new systems
- Oversee technology spend on behalf of the business and partner with Procurement to reign in costs, consolidate vendors, and maximize savings
- Be accountable for project results and drive decision-making along with project sponsors and stakeholders
- Lead, coach and motivate project team members on a proactive basis
- Unify business stakeholders and project team members toward common goals and vision
- Lead Change Management opportunities as projects introduce process changes, the need for new policies/standards and role changes across the end user community
- Raise awareness among end users to proactively drive advocacy for change
- Perform business case analyses, ensuring all cross-departmental owners are included, driving prioritization and timing that aligns across the entire enterprise
- Ensure vendor quotes, contracts, SOWs are properly aligned on behalf of the enterprise
- Create project workplans identifying when tasks will be performed and clearly communicate expectations to team members and stakeholders
- Manage project goals, deliverables, required resources, budget and timing
- Partner with business owners, technical team and vendors during design, build and testing to ensure business requirements are fully implemented and system quality is maintained within prescribed budget and timelines
- Facilitate current state process discussions and future state process re-design opportunities
- Build and maintain technology vendor relationships
- Route work between all responsible people in all stages of implementation
- Coordinate testing, end user training, and deployment phases of projects
- Identify, mitigate and escalate issues in a proactive manner throughout the project lifecycle
- Be one-step ahead of business owners by alerting them to impending or unforeseen risks and proposing mitigation plans, new policies, or processes for the business
- Effectively manage project scope by ensuring any changes are evaluated, documented and approved
- Drive post-implementation systems adoption
- Determine how results will be measured and complete post-project evaluations to determine how well results were achieved
- Demonstrate ability to tie back performance to projected business case ROIs
- Strong facilitation skills; Ability to facilitate resources from multiple business areas to drive decisions and promote change
- Demonstrated leadership managing and motivating people and teams
- Ability to unify multiple stakeholders and 3rd-party vendors across geographies and foster collaborative partnerships
- Experience with annual strategic planning, prioritization of business needs, and project budgeting
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual thinking, and problem-solving capabilities
- Strategic operational and technical management skills. Ability to “translate” or bridge technical concepts to non-technical decision-makers
- Ability to lead structured meetings and clearly communicate tasks, expectations, and accountability
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and leading rapid change and forward thinking
- Thorough understanding of PMO Methodologies and tools
- Business Process Mapping, Business Problem Analysis, and Requirements Definition
- Solid experience with systems integrations
Your Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required; or equivalent years of experience
- Advanced degree preferred
- Requires a minimum of 10 years’ work experience in project management
- PMI certification is an asset
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
- THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
- TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
- DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
- LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
- TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top