Senior Cloud Engineer
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence and delivered by #1 ranked industry experts, the Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes. Medidata serves more than 1,000 customers and partners worldwide and empowers more than 100,000 certified users every day to create hope for millions of patients. Discover the future of life sciences: www.mdsol.com
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
The Sr. Cloud Engineer is responsible for implementation, operation, deployment, maintenance and troubleshooting of our cloud based applications. The cloud engineer will deploy, monitor, and troubleshoot infrastructure components and applications in Medidata’s production, cloud based hosting environment. The Sr. Cloud Engineer is responsible for maintenance and troubleshooting of live production systems in the event of outage, performance, or functionality issue. The Sr. Cloud Engineer will have hands-on skills in public clouds (ideally Amazon Web Services (AWS)). This position promotes sharing information with others in changing skill sets and thought processes.
- Troubleshoot (keep lights on) and bring problems up to other teams if problems come up consistently.
- Provide feedback when necessary as day to day operators to deliver scalability to Medidata products.
- Provide feedback and insight on designing and scaling of SaaS and cloud-based environments and tools
- Ensure a consistent, quality operating level across the hosting environment
- , Create and maintain documentation such as Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for cloud operations team
- Create knowledge base articles that can be used by the organization in response to routine or complex incidents
- Provide diagnostic support for existing product releases
- Able to participate in multiple cross platform projects and cross functional teams to ensure the projects are successful
- Provide technical direction on specific projects and look for opportunities to improve operational efficiency or processes
- Be able to mentor/coach/teach others
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
Must Haves (required)
- Experience of operations, systems administration, design, and implementation experience
- Proven experience working with Unix/Linux systems
- Experience providing production operations support on client facing systems and products in a hosting/vendor environment
- Knowledge of standard internet protocols including: TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, SSH, NFS, LDAP
- Knowledge of Microsoft server systems, IIS, Active Directory
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Able to thrive in an agile, fast paced, high energy and fun work environment
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to understand operational requirements and translate to technical solutions
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Understanding virtualization technologies
Nice to Haves (not required but would be a big PLUS)
- Real-world experience administering MySQL
- Software development using any dynamic language - Ruby or Python
- Experience with SAP Business Objects
- Hands-on experience with any PaaS technology
- Experience with high traffic large-scale applications and associated technologies
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL and/or Oracle databases
- Experience with cloud based or other monitoring solutions (New Relic, Sumologic, Solarwinds)
- Experience with cloud based backup solutions (AWS based or third party)
- Experience with various web based application and web servers (Tomcat, Web Logic, Nginx, Phusion Passenger)
- At least 4 yrs or relevant work experience.
- At a Bachelor's degree would be ideal too though the work experience will trump the degree.
Note: The requirements should reflect your minimum requirements for the role in general
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
MDSOL Europe Ltd is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, gender reassignment, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top