Senior Application Engineer
Medidata's unified platform, pioneering analytics, and unrivaled expertise power the development of new therapies for over 1,000 pharmaceutical companies, biotech, medical device firms, academic medical centers and contract research organizations around the world. The Medidata Clinical Cloud® connects patients, physicians and life sciences professionals. Companies on the Medidata platform are individually and collaboratively reinventing the way research is done to create smarter, more precise treatments. For more information: www.mdsol.com.
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
The Senior Software Engineer Function is responsible for hands-on development of Medidata’s software applications. The Engineer is one who works very quickly to resolve high impact, challenging, engineering problems while continuously raising the standard of quality in our products and services in a full solutions-oriented SaaS environment.
• Provide estimates in backlog grooming
• Identify tasks in planning
• Contribute to scenario writing
• Actively contribute at retrospectives
• Participate in experimental changes in technical improvements and/or processes arising from retrospectives
• Apply simple platform design principles locally
• Extend service contracts
• Apply BDD/TDD. Apply simple patterns
• Be aware of the impact of design on performance, e.g. through algorithmic complexity, N+1 fetching, etc
• Competent in tech stack of choice
• Deliver new areas of functionality
• Review pull requests for functional aspects
• Perform local refactoring when making changes
• Contribute to continuous integration pipeline
• Contribute to addressing technical debt
• Identify root causes
• Create fixes with unit tests where appropriate
• Provide technical impact assessment
• Create unit tests and step definitions for test automation where appropriate
• Modify and troubleshoot automated deployment implementation
• Access production monitoring
• Diagnose issues while dealing with initial uncertainty and incomplete information
• Provide feedback on documentation
• Communicate personal and team activities to those outside the team, e.g. blog posts, presentations, stakeholder demos
• Attend all appropriate team meetings
• Attend company-organized meetups
• Constantly seeking to be an expert and takes pride in self-mastery and knowledge development. Quick learning and applied-knowledge capability
• Thrives in a team environment, and has strong people communication skills
• Enthusiastic and passionate about developing and improving products. Be explorative on creative solutions and technology in the industry that will help products to grow to next evolution.
• Have an innate ability for communicating very high level technical information to a non-technical audience, especially upper management and customer facing groups
• Able to use disparate pieces of information to drive investigation and problem solving. Especially in situations where there may not be very much information available on the problem, and you have to use your own creativity or teamwork to drive investigation and devise an appropriate fix
• Take ownership of technical projects and provide leadership among peer developers to execute technical implementation through the life-cycle of projects.
• Demonstrated expert-level experience in troubleshooting and debugging web server platforms, software and code
• Sufficient prior background in web software development is necessary for the position
• Ninja-like data querying abilities in SQL(MySQL) and/or NOSQL(MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, etc)
• Have Best-of-Breed problem solving abilities and enjoy crafting technical solutions that are business and customer driven
• Have the ability to plan, design and implement code fixes on multiple, unrelated sections of the codebase, and/ or different products altogether
• Take pride in knowing that the solutions you craft today are helping to develop new medicines that shape the world of tomorrow
• In-depth understanding of Java SDK Framework is a required element of the position
• Knowledgeable with Angular.js, React.js, or equivalent Front-end framework is required
• Basic prior experience in working with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services is preferred (e.g. S3, EFS, Lambda, SQS, etc)
• Basic understanding of GitHub, Jira and Jenkins
Your Education & Experience:
Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree;
Prior experience from on commercial B2B / Enterprise SaaS offerings, involving documents and/or workflow / process
•The minimum education level required (Bachelor’s, Master’s, etc.)
•The fields of study you would accept (Computer Science, I.T., etc.)
•The minimum years of experience you require overall
•The minimum years of experience you require in specific tasks, technologies, types of experience etc.
Note: The requirements should reflect your minimum requirements for the role in general
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Back to top