Our Industry: Where we play
We sit at the intersection of the technology and life sciences industries. As the market leader -- we drive change into clinical trials by providing the best clinical development platform, enabling our clients to improve the accuracy and the timeliness of data collection and data analysis. This result is safer, more effective, and less costly treatments that reach the general population sooner. We are publicly traded (MDSO) and are the market-leading clinical trial software company with over 800 clients, retention rates above 99%, and experience supporting more than 10,000 clinical trials around the world.
Every employee is passionate about our mission of powering smarter treatments and healthier people because they know the world-changing difference technology can make in this space.
Medidata is looking for an experienced, hands-on engineering manager to lead a team of 5-7 engineers to design, implement, and enhance new features and functionality in one of Medidata’s fastest growing solutions -- Rave RTSM.
Rave RTSM is a mature, single-instance, multi-tenant web service that enables hundreds of clinical trials to manage their Randomization and Trial Supply Line Management (RTSM) needs. Our application is built with Ruby on Rails, uses a MySQL database and is hosted in AWS. Our front end uses HTML, CSS, jQuery, AJAX and BootStrap. As a manager, and engineer, on Balance, you'll be challenged both to develop new features in response to market demand and improve the performance and scalability of the application to meet our rapidly growing user base.
● Provide clear, consistent leadership, management and mentoring for direct reports and the broader technology organization. Inspire, empower and motivate the team, leading by example.
● Help team members increase the breadth and depth of their technical and soft skills
● Perform personnel management tasks for all developers, including performance reviews, promotions, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth
● Design and enhance features for a large-scale service environment using OO principles with a deep focus on performance, scalability, quality and extensibility
● Embrace test-driven development with complete code coverage and continuous integration
● Provide diagnostic support and fix bugs for service features
● Follow Medidata’s Standard Operating Procedures to ensure all software meets regulatory and company requirements
● Work with Agile team members, particularly Test and Product Management, to write clear, concise and comprehensive feature files
● Participate in Agile working practices such as daily scrum meetings, sprint planning meetings, reviews and retrospectives
● Consistently execute against a product roadmap to deliver multiple features across the Rave RTSM portfolio of service components enabling our clients to more effectively run their clinical trials
● Build relationships with product management, marketing, sales, and users to enable development teams to more effectively refine system requirements and size delivery efforts
● Share your knowledge and experience with a highly motivated and collaborative team regarding code reviews, software designs and all other engineering and business aspects
● Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers
● Proven technical leadership regarding feature design, enhancement and implementation within a single-instance multi-tenant service environment
● Ability to solve complex problems and provide solutions that can be applied in a service environment
● Full-Stack software development experience architecting and building robust distributed systems that scale well
● Proven track record of meeting schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion
● Strong analytic, communication and interpersonal skills
● Strong cross team collaboration skills
● Effective communication skills to relay technical information to various cross functional teams and clients
● Experience with cloud technologies, such as AWS and Azure
Your Education & Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree required; or equivalent years of experience
● Experience in the software engineering discipline is required
● Two years experience as an engineering manager is required
● Experience with the Google apps suite, GitHub and MySQL are desired
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
● THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
● TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
● DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
● LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
● TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams (People Leader especially!)
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top