Lead Software Architect (Ruby on Rails (ROR) & C#/.Net)
Medidata Architects are expected to provide technical leadership in the design and development of the Medidata Platform product, focusing on areas that span different subsystems. An architect is expected to make high-level decisions about coding standards, integration patterns and common tools and primitives.
Acts as the bridge between business goals and the realized system.
Architects are the owners of the technical system and work with product, business, engineers, ops, hosting, to deliver sustainable, reusable solutions that meet customer needs.
Creates artifacts that allow for the intellectual control of large systems.
Provides technical context, mission, vision, architecture plans, technical goals, technical context, high availability context, etc to enable amazing products and systems to be delivered loosely coupled, highly aligned, and quickly.
Drives continuous learning throughout the organization.
Encourages debate and focuses on real communication (not powerpoint, look into each others eyes) to forge the best solutions and products.
Ensures products and services are built according to design principles.
Documents designs and architecture for consumption by the right people at the right times. Drives themselves and others to write down designs and plans for communication and clarity of thoughts.
Creates alignment across engineering for a single architecture that makes us more than the sum of our parts.
Takes a systems theory approach to teams and architecture. Understand and manage the controls and pressures that affect a team’s performance and a product’s safety.
Looks to the entire system including ops, customers, engineers, sqa to understand controls and safety when building and operating software.
Participates in and presents to the architecture review board.
• Designs a complete and complex framework, system or product
• Defines processes for technical platforms, system specifications, input/output and working parameters for hardware and/or software compatibility
• Conceives system interfaces and business application prototypes
• Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses
• Influences the shaping of future products by contributing to the framework (architecture) used across multiple products or systems
• Provides multi-layered technical expertise for next generation initiatives
• Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
• Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
• Interacts with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise. Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
• Documents and explains designs and standards for implementing engineers.
• Helps drive the requirements-gathering processes necessary for high-level design.
Have built beautiful and innovative solutions.
Demonstrated knowledge of designing, building and maintaining a distributed system.
Demonstrated knowledge of service oriented architecture microservices (SOA)
Practical knowledge of RESTful resource design.
Proven ability to translate product requirements into efficient solutions that which meet customer need.
Use of appropriate data structures and algorithms and comes up with generic/object-oriented code that encapsulate aspects of the problem that are subject to change
Able to understand and communicate thoughts/design/ideas/specs in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication as per the context
Knowledge of advanced data structures
Able to recognize and code dynamic programming solutions, good knowledge of graph algorithms, good knowledge of numerical computation algorithms, able to identify NP problems etc.
Understands the entire programming stack
Maintains a blog in which personal insights and thoughts on programming are shared
• Demonstrates good judgment & commonsense in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
• Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience as a leader of technology and architecture with a Bachelor’s degree in a STEM major (ideally in Computer Science or (some higher) Math); or 3 years of work experience upon graduating with an undergraduate degree and a Master’s degree.
• Proficiencies in languages & frameworks like Ruby on Rails (ROR) and C#/.Net.
• Proficiencies in relational and non-relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL etc.)
• Proficiencies in Web Security & Security related topics
About Medidata Solutions
Medidata's unified platform, pioneering analytics, and unrivaled expertise power the development of new therapies for over 1,000 pharmaceutical companies, biotech, medical device firms, academic medical centers and contract research organizations around the world. The Medidata Clinical Cloud® connects patients, physicians and life sciences professionals. Companies on the Medidata platform are individually and collaboratively reinventing the way research is done to create smarter, more precise treatments. For more information: www.mdsol.com.
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
US: Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top