Lead Product Owner
Our Industry: Where we play
We sit at the intersection of technology and Life Sciences industries. Humbly, we’ve been told that we are the leader in application software for the clinical development process, tackling real-world problems and making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere. With the current transformation in the life sciences industry, we are at the forefront of providing an advanced clinical development platform for our clients to further improve the accuracy, timeliness and ease of the data collection process. That means better treatments can reach waiting patients sooner. We are publicly traded (MDSO) with over 500 customers, customer retention rates above 99%, and the experience of supporting more than 10,000 clinical trials. We are still led by Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia.
As one of the three pillars of future growth, the mHealth team sits at one of the most innovative points of Medidata, and is challenged with creating solutions that fundamentally change the way clinical trials are designed and executed. We’re harnessing a quickly growing trend within life sciences industry to elevate the patient’s voice throughout the clinical trial process, by enabling the capture of patient data in the real world, and engaging patients to ensure a higher quality experience. We’re utilizing the technology already in the pockets of most patients today, and taking advantage of the latest trends in apps, wearable sensors, and SDKs to push life sciences to rethink clinical trials in the 21st century.
Lead Product Owner
The Lead Product Owner is a core member of the mHealth product management team, and plays the Product Owner role for their product in all Agile related activities. In this role, you’ll be taking ownership of a new product to the Medidata mHealth portfolio. Your initial goal will be to master an understanding of the business workflow, users, and customer of this product. With that base information in mind, you’ll work with Product Management and commercial colleagues to define a new unified solution that integrates the new product with the existing portfolio. With a strong understanding of the vision in mind, own and drive agile execution by creating and grooming product backlog, prioritizing features to meet business objectives, and working directly with Agile development teams to ensure end product meets business needs. You’ll interact directly with your customers and users to understand their needs and validate your approaches. You will be the key internal subject matter expert for your product, and liaising with sales and marketing to help creating messaging, and working with support teams to resolve customer issues.
● Acts as Product Owner for your product during all aspects of the Agile Medidata Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
● Be a strong voice in the product’s definition and vision. Act as the a proxy of your product’s user base, communicating their business process and representing their current needs and pain points.
● Work closely with product management and user experience team to define and prioritize features and stories that execute on product manager’s priorities and product vision
● Build, prune, and maintain Agile team backlog with input from both business and engineering/architectural stakeholders
● Take ownership of the SDLC execution of your product, including
○ Story definition and elaboration - define business requirements, work closely with user experience to define design requirements, create real world use cases, and establish acceptance criteria that indicates when a story/feature is complete
○ Planning - review, prioritize, and refine stories to be included in next sprint, working with project management (PMO) and engineering managers to align on sprint priorities and imminent dependencies
○ Testing - work closely software quality assurance (SQA) engineers and UX to write feature files that fully and accurately test features to ensure they meet all business requirements and accurately reflect expected real world use of the feature
○ Participate in daily scrum meetings and enable engineering teams to meet their committed sprint goals. Take ownership of questions that arise by utlizing your deep product knowledge to make decisions, or bring stakeholders together when broader stakeholder input is required.
● Support internal customers (sales, marketing, engineering, professional services) as the SME for your product, mastering knowledge related to product configuration, functions and features, as well as the relevant business processes
● Interface with external users of your product, mastering an understanding of how they use your product today, and what their perceived gaps are that you can help to close.
● Review and contribute to relevant industry and market discussions on topics related to Medidata’s platform, solutions or processes
● Take a global approach to your product, prioritizing localized features in line with your product’s global execution strategy
● Act as an escalation point for the customer care and services teams by prioritizing, providing analysis on, and assisting in the resolution of product and operational issues
● Identify and contribute to the improvement of processes to support our solutions
● Work with technical writers to create clear, concise, and accurate product documentation.
● Support and in some cases create documentation around releases in support of global regulatory software development frameworks.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
○ Sufficient to present to internal stakeholders
○ Sufficient to present to internal and external customers
● Ability to interact with technical resources and effectively communicate technical information and processes to relevant stakeholders; Ability to translate business needs to a technical team
● Critical thinking: Analysis and problem solving skills to address core business problems; Ability to effectively evaluate a problem or situation from all angles to determine the most appropriate solution
● Attention to detail
● Planning and organization skills to manage individual responsibilities
● Experience with one or more tools used for client presentations, collaboration with other teams, requirements management, workflow definition, product issue management, and testing requirements (for example PowerPoint, Google Docs, Vizio, Lucidchart, Jira, Cucumber, GitHub, Bugzilla, Rally)
● Familiarity with agile software development methodologies
● Experience developing functional requirements or similar product documentation
● University degree, preferably in business, information systems, marketing, software development, or other relevant area
● 5+ years of relevant experience, with 3+ years embedded in Agile development teams
● Mobile app, SDK, and/or wearable data ingestion a plus
● Clinical trial related experience a plus
● Technical/software development experience a plus
● Extensive Business Analyst Experience
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
● THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
● TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
● DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
● LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
● TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top