Director of Sales Operations
Our Industry: Where we play
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development. Our work ensures that life-saving drugs and medical devices get to market faster. We are a certified “Great Place to Work” with highly engaged employees focused on improving the health outcomes of patients across the globe.
We develop cloud-based enterprise products and services and are a world leader driving the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of the most exciting areas for innovation globally. With annual revenue in 2016 of nearly $500 million, we are publicly traded (MDSO) with over 850 customers and customer retention rates above 99%. The Medidata Clinical Cloud® is the primary technology solution powering clinical trials for 18 of the world's top 25 global pharmaceutical companies and is used by 18 of the top 25 medical device developers—from study design and planning through execution, management and reporting. Our customers include global pharmaceutical companies, biotech, diagnostic and device firms, leading academic medical centers, technical partners and contract research organizations.
By automating over 12,000 clinical trials to date, Medidata has the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. Today, Medidata pioneers innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing a new level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials. That means better treatments reach waiting patients sooner.
We know that diverse teams win. It is our diversity and inclusiveness that fuels innovation and sparks our passion and commitment to patient health. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 1900 employees.
The Director of Sales Operations leads the efforts to operationalize Medidata’s Sales strategy by analyzing business results and providing actionable insights to ensure the success of Sales. The Director will touch upon the execution of the Sales strategy across all aspects of our Sales organization. You will be responsible for delivering timely forecasts to executive sales management and other company executives. You will also be responsible for managing other aspects of Sales Operations including insights-based reporting, territory and quota management, and business management. The Director of Sales Operations will report to the Vice President, Sales Operations.
• Own, manage, and coordinate the Sales forecast process across each of Medidata’s Sales segments with the goal of delivering timely forecast to senior leadership, driving accuracy and clarity on required deals to meet business needs.
• Regularly interact with Finance, Corp Dev, and other company stakeholders to ensure that Sales forecasts are aligned to company obligations and support company strategy.
• Own and manage financial modeling and statistical analysis for each of Medidata’s Sales segments.
• Build and support the delivery of a Board of Director (BOD) package in time for quarterly earnings calls and BOD meetings.
• Establish and execute on the Rhythm of the Business that includes all key activities and milestones across the Sales organization.
• Develop strategies to deliver on territories that optimize sales coverage.
• Own the sales quota process including building pro-forma statements, working with HR Incentive Comp team to ensure alignment of quota to payouts, and working with Sales leaders to set achievable yet challenges quotas.
• Ensure that the Sales Operations team has clear goals and development plans, and are aligned to key performance indicators (KPIs).
• 7+ years’ experience in a leadership role in sales operations, business management, and/or business planning in a business-to-business sales environment, cloud-based/SaaS preferred.
• Highly analytical and detail oriented with the ability to translate data into business insights.
• Ability to think and act strategically.
• Excellent business writing and communication skills.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required, MBA or equivalent Master’s from an accredited institution a plus.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
• THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
• TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
• DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
• LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
• TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top