Director Data Operations
Our Industry: Where we play
We sit at the intersection of technology and Life Sciences industries. Humbly, we’ve been told that we are the leader in application software for the clinical development process, tackling real-world problems and making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere. With the current transformation in the life sciences industry, we are at the forefront of providing an advanced clinical development platform for our clients to further improve the accuracy, timeliness and ease of the data collection process. That means better treatments can reach waiting patients sooner. We are publicly traded (MDSO) with over 800 customers, customer retention rates above 99%, and the experience of supporting more than 12,000 clinical trials. We are still led by Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia.
Medidata Data Science and Operations is seeking a Director of Data Curation with an established entrepreneurial spirit for a key role in a dynamic team of data builders, statisticians, computer scientists, implementation designers, data process managers, and business experts. We leverage industry leading data assets and analytical models to transform the clinical development industry, driving clinical and operational success for our clients and partners. We provide pioneering data-oriented products and consulting services to most of the $100B pharmaceutical development industry. Extensive data curation is critical to the commercialization of our data assets. The Director, Data Curation will support Data Science project teams responsible for data asset maintenance, standardization, project management, external liaison, communications, and planning.
- Lead a team of 15+ specialists (on-site, remote and off-shore) to complete projects sponsored by Data Science leadership to maintain Medidata’s data assets.
- Support the commercialization of new data-driven products and enhancements for existing data product offerings.
- Drive internal process change management to optimize data capture and standardization.
- Coordinate cross-functional collaboration at Medidata, with external vendors and with customers to gather information, prioritize projects, and proactively manage issues.
- Maintain quality system documents and communication collateral, including message crafting, authoring text, workflow visualization, review and integration of feedback to evangelize the value of data.
- Actively facilitate staff training and development plans.
- Continually learn about Medidata and the clinical trials industry to explore, propose and track ideas for new projects and capabilities.
- Some travel, approximately 20%, is required, primarily between Medidata office locations and contractor locations
Your Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree a plus. Degree concentration in a quantitative, analytic or business discipline preferred.
- Work experience (7+ years) as a data curator in the fields of data science, information management, or clinical trials.
- Certification or extensive practical experience with life science coding systems (e.g. SDTM, ICD-9/10, MeSH, HL7, SNOMED CT, CPT).
- Experience leading or mentoring mid-size to large teams of data standardization specialists.
- Experience using project management tools and methods while working on large, cross-functional project teams in a fast-paced business or technical setting.
- Proven track record of change management including process improvement and evaluation of new technology.
- Eagerness to establish a deep understanding of effort from the team and willingness to roll up your sleeves and participate in the team’s work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including ability to constructively interface with all levels of management and technical staff.
- Advanced skill in MS Office, specifically PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Exposure to any of the following is a big plus: data analysis software tools (SAS, R, SQL), intelligent OCR/ICR systems, computer programming, statistics, data management, BI visualization tools.
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
- THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
- TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
- DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
- LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
- TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams (People Leader especially!)
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Meet Some of Medidata's Employees
Senior Marketing Writer, Branded Content
Joey works in Medidata’s Marketing Department, writing and developing a range of written content. He articulates customer success stories on behalf of the company and also drafts internal and external corporate communications.
Back to top