Manager, User Experience Research
We value great design at Medallia. It is fundamental to our mission of helping the world's most influential companies and brands become more customer focused. As a designer, you play a vital role in shaping how we capture customer feedback, deliver insights and coordinate actions in real-time to everyone in a company — from the c-suite to the frontline — to help them improve.
Our approach to design is to understand our users’ goals and present a clear path to achieve them. Sounds simple but doing this for the world’s largest and diverse companies is where the challenge lies. It is also where some of the most rewarding work of your career can take place. Knowing that millions of people are communicating with companies through Medallia, and those companies view our platform as indispensable, is truly rewarding.
We’re the leaders in a space we defined, are Sequoia-backed, and growing like crazy. Our culture focuses on smarts, kindness, continual learning, and fun. And above all else, we focus on making every customer experience, at every company, the best their customers have ever had.
Design Researchers lead teams through inspiration-gathering and customer empathy experiences to uncover stories and insights that help guide design and product management. They deftly balance techniques that inspire new ideas and paradigms with methods that rigorously evaluate potential concepts and solutions.
Medallia is looking for a hands on Design Research Manager with an edge, a spark, and a deep-seated obsession with human emotions and behaviors. In addition to being empathetic, creative, and strategic, here are some of the qualities we’re searching for:
Constantly curious – We want people who are excited to be in the field and as inquisitive about other people and their stories as they are empathetic.
Thoughtfully collaborative – we want people who think through the methodologies to engage the teams as carefully as they engage our customers.
Captivating communicator – We want compelling storytellers who can inspire teams to translate keen observations into compelling insights and ideas.
We want people who are experimental, sensitive, savvy and even quirky. These are the people who will be truly inspiring and impactful.
- Establish programs that drive insights to inform the definition and development of new and existing products across all platforms.
- Work cross functionally with teams to shape and execute research plans based on business needs and growth initiatives
- Develop and use research models and insights to drive superior decision making
- Interpret research results, derive implications, perform market analysis and gather strategic intelligence to provide proactive insight regarding the market, trends and our customer needs, and pain points
- Expertly select and deploy appropriate research methodologies (from generative to evaluative)
- Direct priorities and approaches for research projects to ensure the most effective and efficient use of resources
- Manage and develop a small team of user researchers
- Champion user-centeredness across the organization, and evangelize the need for user research
- Master’s degree or PhD in Social Psychology or an equivalent field in the behavioral sciences
- At least 7 years of industry experience as a hands-on researcher, working across multiple platforms, including mobile and enterprise systems, and managing user research teams
- Expertise in a broad range of methodologies including: ethnographic research, site visits, interviews, diary studies, usability testing, lean experimentation and putting together long-term research plans
- Superior creativity and passion for what you do
- Organized, self-directed, efficient and able to manage complex projects in a timely manner
- Strong leadership qualities that enable you to lead cross-functional teams and third party partners when needed
- Able to analyze and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information in a manner that engages other team members
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Willingness to travel (10-15%)
Medallia is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
Meet Some of Medallia's Employees
Sales Development Representative
Natalie works on the Inside Sales Team to find new customers interested in partnering with Medallia. She helps these partners improve customer experience at their respective companies.
Back to top