Engineering Manager - Backend (APIs)
- As an Engineering Manager at Medallia, You will lead the web development team that is building APIs for Medallia web apps and 3rd party developers, exposing services on the legacy Express platform and Medallia’s core service infrastructure. You will build on Medallia’s state of the art, core service infrastructure and platform. Your work will empower the client administrators to self-launch and self-serve the Medallia SaaS platform, allowing them to delight their customers.
MORE SPECIFICALLY, YOU WILL
- Take ownership of the people, process and the product (APIs).Enable your API consumers to build scalable, reliable and performant products. We use Swagger and Jersey extensively to build our APIs.
- Measure delivery progress using KPI’s and communicate plans and updates on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with Product Management and other engineering teams to effectively align against goals, roadmaps, and commitments.
- Ensure right technical direction working closely with tech lead and architects.
- Own the agile processes: scrum mastering, prioritizing, planning, jira grooming and reporting.
- Be a technologist, who understands the architecture and design decisions, including when tradeoffs must be made. Stay involved with the team thru design and code reviews, bug triage and occasional code contributions.
- Instill operational hygiene in team to support what you build. We document on wiki, use newrelic and pagerduty.
- Be a people manager and cheerleader for your team, coaching and planning individual growth and development.
- Be a voice of Medallia Engineering on local DC tech scene thru hosting and participating in meetups.
- And lastly, you will scour your network to find great engineers to join the team, while learning to craft and refine an elevator pitch about why someone should join your team.
OUR ENGINEERING CULTURE
- We don’t expect to be perfect, but we are always proactively seeking out ways to help ourselves and our teams to minimize pain points within our infrastructure and code base.
- We love technology -- and follow the latest technologies and sharing what we learn.
- We are not afraid of failing when we are experimenting with different technologies, development methodologies, and toolings.
- We build strong relationships with team members around the globe and are not afraid to challenge our team members and peers on enforcing good habits and best practices.
- 3+ years of direct people management
- 7+ years of developer/architect level experience with distributed systems / cloud services / building and maintaining APIs or similar backends
- Must have agile process experience, ability to lead small to mid size teams and collaborate with distributed teams
- Enjoy working with people, developing high performing teams and growing individual careers
- Bring an ownership mindset with quality orientation and DevOps experience
- Demonstrate strong software engineering fundamentals. We love BFFs (backend for frontend)
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field preferred
- People manager, Management, Team Lead, Architect, Java, Jersey, REST, JSON, Swagger, APIs, PostgreSQL, SOA, Microservices, Docker, Artifactory, AWS, Git/Github, Jenkins, NewRelic, SumoLogic, Wavefront.
Meet Some of Medallia's Employees
Sales Development Representative
Natalie works on the Inside Sales Team to find new customers interested in partnering with Medallia. She helps these partners improve customer experience at their respective companies.
Back to top