SVP of Recreation and Camp Programs
The SVP of Recreation and Camp Programs is one of the most prestigious, important and influential members of the Senior Executive team, partnering with the CEO and other Senior Leadership Team members, to engage in defining the overall mission strategy of MDA.
Specifically, this role is responsible for the implementation of Recreation and Community Programs by adherence to the same standard of excellence delivered by employees, volunteers and others involved in the MDA recreational and community experience. S/he will be expected to communicate MDA Recreation and Community policies and philosophy to employees, volunteers and families directly and indirectly associated with all recreational programs. The SVP of Recreation and Community Programs provides leadership, interprets the vision, plans and directs the overall program, operation, marketing and outreach for all Recreation and Community Programs.
The SVP of Recreation and Camp Programs will be the voice and face to the Recreation and Camp programs representing MDA at all public conferences, seminars and roundtables.
- Provide advice to MDA President & CEO, Executive Staff Team and Board of Directors Committees regarding matters related to Camp and Recreational Programs
- Commit to launching and reestablishing MDA's camp program nationwide with enhancements and state of the art programs
- Develop and grow the Recreational Camp Program to become world class leader
- Lead all Recreational and Community Programs related volunteer recruitment and hiring processes
- Plan and oversee all Recreational and Community programs and activities that support MDA's mission and meet ACA standards
- Oversee maintenance of all Recreational and Community records including but not limited to: Youth records, staff records, visitors, maintenance requests, and vehicle arrivals/departures, with your appropriate team members
- Along with the CEO and Camp Committee prepare and execute seamlessly on budget responsibilities
- Work with facilities management to ensure all sites meet the needs of youth, volunteers and rental/partnership groups throughout the year
- Work with other agencies to utilize resources within the community and develop/maintain partnerships with them
- Create, deliver and manage deliverables specific to Recreational and Community Programs.
- Promote the use of all Recreational programs as appropriate with sponsors, families and community groups.
- Implement HIPAA procedures and requirements for all Recreational and Community Programs and activities.
- Represent MDA in the community, media and other venues as the Recreational and Community expert.
- Participate in the development, planning and implementation of short and long-range strategic goals
- Be a standard bearer for organizational mission and values, while capable of calculating and taking measured/appropriate/ steps
- Demonstrate the abilities to think big and be willing to lead game changing efforts/ideas/approaches
- Lead the team to evaluate, develop and implement MDA's policies and programs with regard to recreational programs and camp
- Mentor the team to encourage development and career growth
- Collaborate with other Executive Vice Presidents in development, implementation, oversight and evaluation of initiatives to achieve organizational goals.
- Develop and writes proposals and plans aimed at garnering grant funding and philanthropic support
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the President and CEO including preparation of written and oral reports to MDA's Board of Directors, Sponsors, Donors and Foundations
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to MDA staff
- Other duties as assigned
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Joining during this exciting period at MDA, the President of Recreation and Camp Programs will bring great passion and enthusiasm. S/he will bring vision, gravitas, and high energy to drive MDA's clinical research mission.
- Must have 15+ years' experience working with a national camp and recreational program
- American Camping Association Accreditation, CPR and First Aid, lifeguarding certifications
- Master's degree required in recreational or psychology
- Must have extensive experience and expertise in child psychology
- Experience in neuromuscular disease is ideal
- Strategic and data-driven thinker with excellent analytical and communications skills
- Comfortable interacting with families, donors and partners from diverse disability, cultural and economic backgrounds within a semi-medical environment
- Successful track record in strategic planning, program implementation, consensus building and relationship building
- Experience in raising philanthropic and industry funding for programs and research
- Ability to communicate in a consistent, proactive and inclusive manner
- Must be able to work in a dynamic, complex, fast-paced organization
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills
- Experience in executing deliverables for complex programs
- Proven ability to confirm mutual understandings, offer creative and strategic solutions and execution of deliverables
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial mindset to develop and grow the recreational and camp programs
- Passionate about patient safety and quality and be a tireless advocate for patients
- Ability to travel
- Experience with the regulations and rules surrounding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is preferred
- Leadership: Proven ability to provide vision and inspiration to team members, set expectations, evaluate employee performance and provide recognition for results.
- Initiative: Measure self against a standard of excellence. Demonstrate persistence and overcome obstacles, take calculated risks to accomplish goals. Ability to work a demanding, primarily self-directed work schedule.
- Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accepts responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals. Meet deadlines and commitments.
- Flexibility: Develop new or diverse strategies to achieve organizational goals. Able to lead in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate verbally and in writing. Listen and seek clarification; manage difficult or emotional situations; maintain confidentiality.
- Customer Service: Prioritizes internal and external interactions and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving: Conduct appropriate analysis and make clear, consistent and timely decisions.
- Detail minded: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail while multitasking.
Back to top