Payroll Manager - Chicago, IL or Tucson, AZ
Purpose: At MDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needs and each other’s.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituents’ expectations.
The PayrollManager is responsible to coordinate, direct and control payroll preparation,processing and distribution.
- Manage and guarantee weekly disbursement ofmulti-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes to 800employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws – Domestic &Puerto Rico
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporaryworkers, transfers, promotions and
terminations is accurate and timely
- Reconcile payroll after each payroll, using ADP,Work Force Now and Great Plains Accounting
- Understands and implements automation of payrolland reports to assist in efficiencies
- Supervise payroll staff, including payroll coordinator
- Critically review and analyze current payroll,benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leadingto best-practice operations
- Audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets, YTDearnings, PTO, etc.
- Communicate actively with Finance and HR toreview cross-departmental impacts and reconcile data sharing
- Manage regular preparation of relevantmanagement reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports(gross payroll, hours worked, PTO accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions,etc.)
- Ensure payroll is processed in an accurate,compliant and timely manner
- Oversee compliance with statutory reporting andfiling requirements
- Compile data from payroll sources
- Prepare and review monthly payroll accountreconciliations in accurate and timely manner (salaries, PTO, taxes, payrollcash account, etc.)
- Review and improve payroll policies andprocedures
- Support all internal and external audits relatedto payroll
- Interpret new legislation impacting payroll
- Manage and resolve issues relating to payrollproduction
- Analytical:Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Usesintuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- ProblemSolving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers andanalyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well ingroup problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotionaltopics.
- ManagingPeople: Includes staff in planning,decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility forsubordinates’ activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regularperformance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth;Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters qualityfocus in others; Improves processes, products and services. Continually worksto improve supervisory skills.
- BusinessAcumen: Understands business implications of decisions; Displaysorientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition;Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner;Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and considerationregardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions;Follows through on commitments.
- 5-7 years’ experience managing a multi-statepayroll department
- Bachelors’ Degree with emphasis on business,finance or bookkeeping preferred.
- Exemplary Customer Service skills when dealingwith employee’s questions and concerns
- Certified Payroll Professional preferred
- Highly literate in ADP, Workforce Now
- Expert knowledge of accounting principles andpractices
- Managerial/supervisory experience
- Proficiency in relevant payroll and accountingsoftware
- Advanced in MS Office (specifically Excel)
- Ability to manage and lead staff to excellentperformance
- Must be a team player
- Must be highly organized
MDA is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receiveconsideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top