Purpose: At MDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needs and each other’s.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituents’ expectations.
The Payroll Manager is responsible to coordinate, direct and control payroll preparation, processing and distribution.
- Manage and guarantee weekly disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes to 800 employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws – Domestic & Puerto Rico
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and
terminations is accurate and timely
- Reconcile payroll after each payroll, using ADP, Work Force Now and Great Plains Accounting
- Understands and implements automation of payroll and reports to assist in efficiencies
- Supervise payroll staff, including payroll coordinator
- Critically review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations
- Audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, PTO, etc.
- Communicate actively with Finance and HR to review cross-departmental impacts and reconcile data sharing
- Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, PTO accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.)
- Ensure payroll is processed in an accurate, compliant and timely manner
- Oversee compliance with statutory reporting and filing requirements
- Compile data from payroll sources
- Prepare and review monthly payroll account reconciliations in accurate and timely manner (salaries, PTO, taxes, payroll cash account, etc.)
- Review and improve payroll policies and procedures
- Support all internal and external audits related to payroll
- Interpret new legislation impacting payroll
- Manage and resolve issues relating to payroll production
Analytical: Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Managing People: Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services. Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Business Acumen: Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- 5-7 years’ experience managing a multi-state payroll department
- Bachelors’ Degree with emphasis on business, finance or bookkeeping preferred.
- Exemplary Customer Service skills when dealing with employee’s questions and concerns
- Certified Payroll Professional preferred
- Highly literate in ADP, Workforce Now
- Expert knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Managerial/supervisory experience
- Proficiency in relevant payroll and accounting software
- Advanced in MS Office (specifically Excel)
- Ability to manage and lead staff to excellent performance
- Must be a team player
- Must be highly organized
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top