National VP of Foundation Relations
At MDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them —from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength:
We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needs and each other’s.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituents’ expectations.
The National Vice President of Foundation Relations is part of a multi-disciplinary team, whose objective is to secure funding from foundation partners on the local, regional and national level. Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and working closely Program Directors, this position will develop and drive fundraising and relationship building strategies to increase the scale of funding at MDA.
- Design, implement, and manage proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing top level foundation partnerships, including corporate foundations, by directing and coordinating activities related to obtaining multi-million-dollar funding and support,including working with research and all programs within MDA that touch on these areas.
- Analyze needs and creates strategic and long-range plans for foundation fundraising and has the authority to make commitments and precedent-setting decisions regarding program design,development, and procedures.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit high-end foundation prospects with a focus on major ($100K+) and principal($1M+) gifts for MDA through both foundation support and collaborating with research.
- Identify emerging business leadership and industry trends with a special emphasis on developing high value-exchange corporate alliances to garner larger philanthropic commitments to support the mission and goals of MDA.
- Develop a solid pipeline of acquisition targets that closely aligns with MDA’s foundation strategy through close collaboration with senior leaders and external entities.
- Develop highly competitive proposals for foundation prospects and leverage diverse corporate and foundation goals and preferences in conjunction with MDA goals at the local, state, and national level. Monitor proposal deadlines, prepare and edit proposals, and manage proposal submissions.
- Create and oversee the implementation of a high-quality stewardship process for active prospects and donors. Ensure that stewardship and reporting requirements are met to sustain successful partnerships by maintaining detailed records of solicitation activities.
- Develops, implements, and manages a suite of central services available to the MDA employees for foundation related fundraising programs. Acts as an expert, and works with fundraising employees tohelp them develop, refine and implement foundation fundraising strategies.
- Lead and manage team. Assess staffing needs and make recommendations for adequate staffing relative to program goals.
- All other duties assigned.
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others;Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Accepts feedback from others;Gives appropriate recognition to others. Ability to guide and train a"sales team" and understanding relationship building within corporations.
- Adaptability:Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change. Ability to work in a dynamic,complex, fast-paced organization.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively,comfortable with public speaking. Able to translate broad goals into achievable steps.
- Planning/Organizing- Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Flexibility:Develop new or diverse strategies to achieve organizational goals. Able to leadin a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events.
- Innovation:Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Problem Solving: Conduct appropriate analysis and make clear, consistent and timely decisions.
- Professionalism:Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions; positive/upbeat attitude.
- Seven years demonstrated successful corporate development and/or foundation fundraising experience
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor and public relations, including strategies for donor identification, cultivation and solicitation.
- Robust knowledge of management/leadership concepts, principles and best practices.
- Strong leadership/management skills to select, train, mentor, evaluate and motivate staff.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communications skills and political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships within all organizational levels and with outside constituencies.
- Strong skills to meet predetermined goals and objectives, including securing gifts and meeting fundraising goals.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top