Mission Volunteer Specialist
OurPurpose: AtMDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them —from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can livelonger and grow stronger.
Our Values are ourstrength:
We believe in MUSCLE:
- Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress forfamilies and muscle health.
- Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needsand each other’s.
- Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, wedrive the best possible outcomes.
- Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and buildcommunities.
- Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers ourpeople.
- Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceedconstituents’ expectations.
The Mission VolunteerSpecialist supports all volunteer efforts for MDA’s Mission Programs, including MDA’s Summer Camp, Young Adult Programs, Advocacy, and other Mission related initiatives.The Mission Volunteer Specialist recognizes the importance of volunteers to theorganization, and the importance of planning ongoing volunteer management and leadershipopportunities. This role reports to the National Director of Volunteer Programsand is responsible for the inclusion, recruitment, and success of Volunteerswithin all Mission Programs during the calendar year, and will partner withother Volunteer Specialists across the organization to ensure consistency of bestpractices.
- Assists in the development and implementation ofan organization wide Volunteer Mission Strategy
- Utilizes and leverages the volunteer managementsystem (Salesforce) to increase pipeline of volunteers
- Collaborates with the leaders of MDA initiativesfor volunteers to support Mission programs including Summer Camp, Advocacy, andrecreation programs.
- Works in partnership with the National Director,Volunteer Programs and the Learning and Development team to spearhead trainingsfor volunteers and an annual summit.
- Reviews new volunteer needs and assigns andempowers volunteer leaders, finalizing appropriate documentation.
- Builds organization wide communication plan tohelp communicate volunteer strategy and needs
- Help develop strategies for volunteer advocacyefforts
- Ensure volunteers are staffed to support thevarious areas of Camp and Recreation
- Achieve Volunteer recruitment quotas for all MDAsummer camps
- Build and manage relationships on the nationaland local level with universities and organizations to develop network ofqualified volunteers
- Recommend the most efficient use of volunteers,appropriate volunteer/supervisory mix, and future workforce needs to supportvolunteer and revenue operations.
- Maintain accurate records and provide timelystatistical and activity reports on volunteer participation.
- Ensure the purpose of the volunteers and itsactions is clearly communicated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Detail minded: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness;monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail whilemultitasking.
- Communication Skills: Clearly andpersuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings,write clearly and informatively. Initiative - Demonstrate ability to workindependently and as part of a team; exhibit sound and accurate judgment,including prioritization and time management skills. Able to provide support tomultiple team members simultaneously.
- Computer Skills: Advanced levelproficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce, and Google Docs, abilityto learn and adapt to new technologies.
- Drive: Motivated to develop and exceed business plans and to clearly set expectationsand goals. Establish and maintaincollaborative relationships.
- Flexibility: Able to multitask in achanging work environment. Managecompeting demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fitthe situation.
- Problem Solving: Conduct appropriateanalysis and make clear, consistent and timely decisions.
- BS/BA in business administration, social studiesor relevant field required
- 2+ years of experience in similar role
- Knowledge of management principles andevaluation techniques related to programs that involve a team of volunteers
- Experience in volunteering locally and/orinternationally
- Prior camp experience preferred
- Demonstrated capability to conduct one’s self ina calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and/or withdifficult situations
- Demonstrated capability to effectivelycommunicate orally and in writing
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array oftasks, projects, and responsibilities
- Ability to work productively in an unstructuredenvironment with frequent interruptions
- Salesforce and Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint experience preferred
MDA is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receiveconsideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top