Intern - Legal
The Legal Intern is an unpaid internship working with and reporting to the Associate General Counsel. The successful intern will be hard-working, responsible, respectful, and self-driven as well as possess a positive attitude, strong communication skills, and initiative. Not only will this intern be able to gain valuable work experience, he/she will also be given the opportunity to regularly meet with other interns to network, collaborate, and participate in various professional development sessions including leadership classes, hearing executive speakers, and participating in MDA Mission or Income Development Events.
He/She will support the legal department on various projects and services provided to the national office and regional offices around the country. This individual will also be responsible for creating a final project and portfolio throughout the internship to present about what he/she has learned throughout the internship to use for future use and reference.
- Conduct legal research on various topics, such as state fundraising regulations, privacy laws and HIPAA compliance, corporate
- compliance and governance.
- Review and revise company policies.
- Review and draft various agreements.
- Track and maintain open matters.
- Assist with the organization’s bequest revenue program.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively.
- Initiative:Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills; seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed.
- Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete business-related tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Flexibility:Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
- Detail Minded: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail while multitasking.
- Must be enrolled in a clinic for credit and actively pursuing a Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to prioritize effectively, and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, remain organized, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Basic Knowledge of MS Office software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- A passion for law and working for a mission-driven organization.
- Candidates must understand the importance of confidentiality and discretion.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top