Family Care Specialist
Family Care Specialist
At MDA, we arefighting to free individuals — and the families who love them — from theharmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer andgrow stronger.
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We'redriven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
Understanding: We're attentive to our constituent's needs and each other's.
Stewardship: Byinvesting precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
Excellence: Westrive to do our best and exceed constituents' expectations.
The Family Care Specialist will report to the AssociateDirector of Family Support & Clinical Care. The primary responsibility ofthis role is family support and engagement. This individual will implementfamily support, education and engagement programs. They will direct/co-direct 2summer camp sessions per year and is responsible for planning, volunteerrecruitment and implementation (with district team and Associate Director).
- Directs/co-directs2 summer camp sessions per year (requires overnight stays at camp for up to twoweeks);
- Workswith Associate Director of Family Support & Clinical Care to streamlineactivities and themes for camp program
- SupportNational Awareness month initiatives
- Oversightof equipment loan program
- Implementseducation, family engagement & transitions programs
- Createand maintain MDA Resource Center by state/locality to provide to stakeholderswhile providing updates to National call center
- Recruitsfor Muscle Walk
- Attendsclinic(s) in area
- Developmentand management of annual family outreach plan
- Registrationof families, assisting families and maintaining family database
- Takingpart in local educational advocacy efforts
- Responsiblefor fostering a partnership with the district staff to implement Muscle Walk,Summer Camp and other major programs.
- Otherduties as assigned.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competingdemands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to dealwith frequent change. Must be able to work in a dynamic, complex,fast-paced organization.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen andseek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively,comfortable with public speaking.
- Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others withrespect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understandbusiness implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, completeadministrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Teamwork: Balances team andindividual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others'views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive teamspirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Ability to build morale andgroup commitments to goals and objectives: Supports everyone's efforts tosucceed.
- Problem Solving: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gather and analyze information skillfully;solicit feedback and use reason when dealing with emotional topics.
- Anundergraduate degree is preferred. Advanced degree in a related field isdesired.
- Previousexperience in voluntary health organizations or related fields stronglypreferred.
- Successfultrack record in program implementation and relationship building.
- Abilityto travel and navigate geographically-diverse markets. Overnight travel will berequired. Travel percentage varies based on territory. Reliable transportationrequired.
- Comfortableinteracting with families from diverse disability, cultural and economicbackgrounds within a semi-medical environment.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Actionemployer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employmentwithout regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, orprotected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Sabrina’s primary responsibility is working with the Fundraising Team at MDA to spread awareness about the organization’s mission and raise as much money as possible for the cause.
Back to top