Family Care Specialist
At MDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
- Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
- Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needs and each other’s.
- Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
- Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
- Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
- Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituents’ expectations.
The Family Care Specialist will report to the Associate Director of Family Support & Clinical Care. The primary responsibility of this role is family support and engagement. This individual will implement family support, education and engagement programs. They will direct/co-direct 2 summer camp sessions per year and is responsible for planning, volunteer recruitment and implementation (with district team and Associate Director).
- Directs/co-directs 2 summer camp sessions per year (requires overnight stays at camp for up to two weeks);
- Works with Associate Director of Family Support & Clinical Care to streamline activities and themes for camp program
- Support National Awareness month initiatives
- Oversight of equipment loan program
- Implements education, family engagement & transitions programs
- Create and maintain MDA Resource Center by state/locality to provide to stakeholders while providing updates to National call center
- Recruits for Muscle Walk
- Attends clinic(s) in area
- Development and management of annual family outreach plan
- Registration of families, assisting families and maintaining family database
- Taking part in local educational advocacy efforts
- Responsible for fostering a partnership with the district staff to implement Muscle Walk, Summer Camp and other major programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change. Must be able to work in a dynamic, complex, fast-paced organization.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively, comfortable with public speaking.
- Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Ability to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives: Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Problem Solving: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gather and analyze information skillfully; solicit feedback and use reason when dealing with emotional topics.
- An undergraduate degree is preferred. Advanced degree in a related field is desired.
- Previous experience in voluntary health organizations or related fields strongly preferred.
- Successful track record in program implementation and relationship building.
- Ability to travel and navigate geographically-diverse markets. Overnight travel will be required. Travel percentage varies based on territory. Reliable transportation required.
- Comfortable interacting with families from diverse disability, cultural and economic backgrounds within a semi-medical environment.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Director of Business Development
Nathan works with businesses in the local community to develop new partnerships with MDA. The funds he raises help the organization's mission grow and thrive.
Back to top