Director of Distinguished Events
Director of Distinguished Events
AtMDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them —from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can livelonger and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We're driven to accelerate progress forfamilies and muscle health.
Understanding: We're attentive to our constituent's needsand each other's.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, wedrive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and buildcommunities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers ourpeople.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceedconstituents' expectations.
The Director ofDistinguished Events reports to the Divisional Director. This position executeslarge scale distinguished events portfolio of gala/golf events withaccountability for specific and considerable income target of six figure events. Ensures goal achievement through effectiveleadership, fundraising, volunteer management and collaboration with diverseteams.
- Cultivate relationships with targetedcorporations/organizations including mobilization of a diverse population orcommunity volunteers and major sponsors and donors.
- Recruits and connects high net worthindividuals and corporations with the appropriate volunteer activities fordistinguished events as well as other opportunities within the Association.
- Confident in relationship building torecruit high level and diverse community volunteer leadership andcommittees. Able to communicate and becomfortable interacting with diverse groups of high net worth individuals andcorporate leaders in the community.
- Ability to recruit, train, organize andsupport the volunteers of the Committee: Including; Chairman's, Sponsorship,Auction and Logistics committees for galas and Title Sponsors for golf events.
- Manage mid-level pipeline development,account planning, forecasting, engagement of prospects and high level volunteercultivation.
- Ability to achieve goals and increaserevenue year over year.
- Accountable for the achievement ofincome performance metrics and Key Performance Indicators for a portfolio ofdistinguished events such as galas, golf, and other social events.
- Responsible for effectively andefficiently completing activities and meeting target deadlines in order to meetfinancial goals and execute successful distinguished events within a specificmarket.
- Identify and execute best practicesthat result in growth of event revenue in alignment with income plans. Drives best practices and encouragesinnovation.
- Manage budgets, analyzes event data,and understands basic account principles to run events like a small business.
- Works within a team to meet district,sub-division, divisional and enterprise goals. Coaches and trains where necessary.
- Ability to coach other staff to achieveobjective, if appropriate. Monitorsstaff and identifies gaps in staffing and resources. Fills in where necessary.
- Ability to work harmoniously withpeople at all levels of the organization to leverage external affiliations andaccomplish shared goals – including Distinguished Events, Marketing andCommunication, Major Gifts, Community Engagement, Advocacy and Sr. Leadership.
- Ensures compliance with MDA policies,including employment, risk management, event and cash handling, and financialcontrols.
- Actively demonstrates the MDA MUSCLEvalues internally and externally.
- Broad knowledge of MDA's mission, structure,policies and procedures helpful.
- Ability to respond to changingcircumstances and priorities in a focused and timely manner, proactivelyaddress issues as they arise and mitigate risks associated to events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others;Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Accepts feedback from others;Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Adaptability: Adapts tochanges in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach ormethod to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change. Must be able to work in a dynamic, complex,fast-paced organization.
- CommunicationSkills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications;participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively, comfortable withpublic speaking.
- Professionalism:Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect andconsideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand businessimplications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, completeadministrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Teamwork: Balancesteam and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness toothers' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positiveteam spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Ability to build moraleand group commitments to goals and objectives: Supports everyone's efforts tosucceed.
- ProblemSolving: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gather and analyze information skillfully;solicit feedback and use reason when dealing with emotional topics.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent orcomparable specific work experience.
- Preferred 2 plus years of experiencewith coordination and execution of large scale distinguished events andvolunteer management for fundraising and mission outcomes.
- Ability to travel throughout assignedterritory as well as work evenings/weekends as necessary. Use of personalvehicle in the course of employment to travel throughout the territory.
- Proven ability to independently managemultiple project and tasks concurrently and effectively prioritize in a fastpaced work environment to meet tight deadlines and income targets.
- Strong customer service orientationwith extensive experience in effectively addressing and resolving issues withall stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbalcommunication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Able to remain composed under stress,handles responses to criticism tactfully and takes responsibility fororganizational commitments.
- Ability to use relevant tools (MSOffice, e-mail, Maestrosoft, SharePoint, etc.)
- Ability to travel up to 25% as needed
MDA is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receiveconsideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Sabrina’s primary responsibility is working with the Fundraising Team at MDA to spread awareness about the organization’s mission and raise as much money as possible for the cause.
Back to top