Director of Business Development
Director of Business Development
Alameda, Oakland, San Francisco
AtMDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them —from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can livelonger and grow stronger.
Our Values are ourstrength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress forfamilies and muscle health.
Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needsand each other’s.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, wedrive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and buildcommunities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers ourpeople.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceedconstituents’ expectations.
A Director of Business Development is adynamic and creative fundraiser responsible for securing new income, developingrelationships with major sponsors and working to expand MDA’s business. The Director of Business Developmentwill be part of the District leadership team and will work with the ExecutiveDirector to ensure income growth in the market. Reports to the ExecutiveDirector and works closely with all levels of the MDA Team. The Director ofBusiness Development does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- Execute individual business plan to exceedrevenue goals and quotas specifically related to growth and new income sources.
- Create fundraising opportunities through variousbusiness development techniques including prospecting, targeted follow-up andnew lead generation.
- Leveraging existing business while continuallygenerating new sales.
- Deliver organized, structured, and persuasivepresentations, using effective written and verbal communication.
- Represent MDA throughout the community andactively engage in networking events and business development groups.
- Collaborate with Executive Director andFundraising Team to develop a district wide fundraising strategy, timelines andgoals.
- Manage fiscal accountability, following theDistrict Business Plan, including providing accurate monthly projections toExecutive Director.
- Build relationships and accountability systemsto ensure supporters are engaged and our mission is clearly articulated.
- Participate in the execution of majorfundraising programs such as MDA’s Shamrocks Against Dystrophy, Muscle Walk,Lock-Ups, Fill the Boot, Golf Tournaments, Social Events and other communitybased fundraising and health care activities such as clinics, MDA Summer Camp,support group and other service programs.
- Perform other duties or special projects asneeded.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Drive: Motivated to meet andexceed fundraising goals and quotas. Establish and maintaincollaborative relationships with sponsors to meet business objectives.
- Initiative: Measureself against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills, seekincreased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed. Demonstrate the ability to work independentlyand collaboratively with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- CommunicationSkills: Clearly and persuasively communicate,including public speaking; listen and seek clarifications; participate inmeetings; write clearly and informatively.
- Professionalism: Workwell in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration;accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications ofdecisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks anddevelop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Flexibility: Ableto multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to changeapproach to best fit the situation.
- Dependability: Followsinstructions, takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments.
- Bachelor’sdegree (Business or Non-Profit Management preferred) and three to five years ofdemonstrated sales and business development experience with a track record ofsuccessfully meeting sales quotas and surpassing expectations orequivalent combination of education and work experience in sales and/orfundraising.
- Abilityto work independently and have high personal expectations of work product.
- Ability to travel throughout District’s territory aswell as work evenings/weekends as necessary. Use of personal vehicle in the course of employment is needed to travelthroughout the district. Significantlocal travel is required for this position; including visiting local business,health care facilities, and events in public places.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use existingtechnology to achieve desired results
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/AffirmativeAction employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration foremployment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Sabrina’s primary responsibility is working with the Fundraising Team at MDA to spread awareness about the organization’s mission and raise as much money as possible for the cause.
Back to top