Director of Business Development
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: Weâ€™re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
Understanding: Weâ€™re attentive to our constituentâ€™s needs and each otherâ€™s.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituentsâ€™ expectations.
A Director of Business Development is a dynamic and creative fundraiser responsible for securing new income, developing relationships with major sponsors and working to expand MDAâ€™s business. The Director of Business Development will be part of the District leadership team and will work with the Executive Director to ensure income growth in the market. Reports to the Executive Director and works closely with all levels of the MDA Team. The Director of Business Development does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- Execute individual business plan to exceed revenue goals and quotas specifically related to growth and new income sources.
- Create fundraising opportunities through various business development techniques including prospecting, targeted follow-up and new lead generation.
- Leveraging existing business while continually generating new sales.
- Deliver organized, structured, and persuasive presentations, using effective written and verbal communication.
- Represent MDA throughout the community and actively engage in networking events and business development groups.
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Fundraising Team to develop a district wide fundraising strategy, timelines and goals.
- Manage fiscal accountability, following the District Business Plan, including providing accurate monthly projections to Executive Director.
- Build relationships and accountability systems to ensure supporters are engaged and our mission is clearly articulated.
- Participate in the execution of major fundraising programs such as MDAâ€™s Shamrocks Against Dystrophy, Muscle Walk, Lock-Ups, Fill the Boot, Golf Tournaments, Social Events and other community based fundraising and health care activities such as clinics, MDA Summer Camp, support group and other service programs.
- Perform other duties or special projects as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Drive: Motivated to meet and exceed fundraising goals and quotas. Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with sponsors to meet business objectives.
- Initiative : Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills, seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed. Demonstrate the ability to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- Communication Skills : Clearly and persuasively communicate, including public speaking; listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings; write clearly and informatively.
- Professionalism : Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Flexibility : Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
- Dependability : Follows instructions, takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree (Business or Non-Profit Management preferred) and t hree to five years of demonstrated sales and business development experience with a track record of successfully meeting sales quotas and surpassing expectations or equivalent combination of education and work experience in sales and/or fundraising.
- Ability to work independently and have high personal expectations of work product.
- Ability to travel throughout Districtâ€™s territory as well as work evenings/weekends as necessary. Use of personal vehicle in the course of employment is needed to travel throughout the district. Significant local travel is required for this position; including visiting local business, health care facilities, and events in public places.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status .
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Director of Business Development
Nathan works with businesses in the local community to develop new partnerships with MDA. The funds he raises help the organization's mission grow and thrive.
Back to top