Director of Business Development
At MDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needs and each other’s.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituents’ expectations.
A Director of Business Development (DBD) is a dynamic and creative fundraiser responsible for securing new income, developing relationships with major sponsors and working to expand MDA’s business by leading various committee relationships. You will be part of the District leadership team and will work with the Executive Director to ensure income growth in the market. The DBD reports to the Executive Director and works closely with all levels of the MDA Team. The DBD does not have supervisory responsibilities.
* Execute individual business plan to exceed revenue goals and quotas specifically related to growth and new income sources.
* Participate in the execution of major fundraising programs such as MDA’s Shamrocks against Dystrophy, Muscle Walk, Lock-Ups, Fill the Boot, Golf Tournaments, Social Events and other community based fundraising.
* Build new and maintain existing sponsor relationships through effective communication. Transform new sponsors into committed supporters through identification of shared goals and values.
* Work with Fundraising team to help them develop their target lists and learn development techniques.
* Collaborate with Executive Director and Fundraising Team to develop a district wide fundraising strategy, timelines and goals.
* Build fundraising opportunities through various business development techniques including prospecting, targeted follow-up and new lead generation.
* Continued prospecting, lead generation and targets for all MDA emphasis programs.
* Using existing business while continually generating new sponsorship partners.
* Represent MDA throughout the community and actively engage in networking events and business development groups.
* Handle fiscal accountability, following the District Business Plan, including providing accurate monthly projections to Executive Director.
* Deliver organized, structured, and persuasive presentations, using effective written and verbal communication.
* Ability to work independently and have a high standard of excellence for self.
Drive*: Motivated to meet and exceed fundraising goals and quotas. Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with sponsors to meet business objectives.
Initiative: Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills, seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed. Demonstrate the ability to work independently and harmoniously with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
Communication Skills:* Clearly and persuasively communicate, including public speaking; listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings; write clearly and informatively.
* Integrity: Work well in a rapidly changing environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
Flexibility:* Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Handle competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
Dependability:** Follows instructions, takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments.
* Bachelor’s degree (Business or Non-Profit Management preferred) and/or three to five years of demonstrated sales and business development experience with a track record of successfully meeting sales quotas and exceeding expectations or equivalent combination of education and work experience in sales and/or fundraising.
* Proven ability to work independently and have high personal expectations of work product with demonstrated achievements being met.
* Ability to travel throughout District’s territory as well as work evenings/weekends as necessary. Use of personal vehicle in the course of employment is needed to travel throughout the district. Significant local travel is required for this position; including visiting local business, health care facilities, and events in public places.
* Ability and willingness to work irregular hours and attend meetings beyond the framework of the normal working schedule.
* Strong computer skills and ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Sabrina’s primary responsibility is working with the Fundraising Team at MDA to spread awareness about the organization’s mission and raise as much money as possible for the cause.
Back to top