Direct Marketing Director
The Muscular Dystrophy Association is undergoing a digital transformation as we embrace new forms of technology across the organization. Just last year, Salesforce and FinancialForce were integrated and launched as our new CRM and ERP systems respectively to support the organization and both platforms are continuing to grow and develop. In addition, our Mission has embraced technology through the creation of the MOVR Data Hub to improve the ability of researchers and healthcare providers to enhance the care and management of individuals living with neuromuscular disease and to aid in the development of clinical trials for promising new treatments.
MDA is looking for a analytical individual to partake in these unprecedented times to continue the growth and utilization of technology in the Marketing department. MDA recently began partnering with Blue State Digital, a digital strategy and technology firm that specializes in online fundraising, advocacy, social networking, and constituency development and implemented Marketing Cloud, a digital marketing automation and analytics software run by Salesforce. The Direct Mail Director is responsible for leading the strategy, implementation, and analysis of direct marking initiatives. He/She is responsible for the flawless execution of direct mail campaigns from inception through post campaign analysis including proposing, planning, and managing direct mail campaigns that are effective, on time, and on budget. The successful Director requires a successful track record of effective direct marketing, strong project management skills, and a demonstrated ability to lead. He/ She will report to the Chief Marketing Officer and work and collaborate with stakeholders across the organization.
- Develop, implement, and execute direct marketing vision and strategy that is aligned with the organization’s objectives.
- Forecast direct marketing performance and hit defined response targets for direct marketing programs.
- Build, manage, and report on direct mail expense budget.
- Leverage post campaign analysis to identify campaign effectiveness and make recommendations for improved messaging, formatting, and timing.
- Drive marketing ROI through innovative production and process improvements including creating, adjusting, and maintaining processes to ensure flawless but flexible execution, driving down expenses and reducing speed to market.
- Manage direct mail agency(s) and drive agency performance, maximizing response and minimizing expense.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to recommend, develop, and execute successful direct mail campaigns.
- Track and analyze the results of marketing programs and recommend modifications based on the data.
- Develop, implement, test, and evaluate specific segmentation strategies to ensure effective engagement and retention.
- Facilitate copy review and appeal input process, directly managing Renewal, Acquisition and E-outreach and reviewing all copy for messaging/brand cohesiveness.
- Identify opportunities and drive integration with other online channels to increase awareness of MDA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Analytical: Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Business Acumen: The ability to understand and apply information with which to contribute to the organization’s strategic plan.
- Relationship Management: Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrates understanding of climate and culture; includes the ability to identify the real decision-makers and the individuals who can influence them; and to predict how new events or situations will affect individuals and groups within the organization.
- Integrity: Work well in a rapidly changing environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accepts responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals. Meet all commitments.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate verbally and in writing, listen and seek clarification; handle difficult or emotional situations; maintain confidentiality.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or a related discipline.
- 7+ years experience in direct marketing and project management.
- Strategic and data-driven thinker with excellent project management skills and ability to identify and respond to issues/opportunities in a timely manner
- Online fundraising experience, including strategy development in a non-profit organization
- Proven expertise in direct marketing/mail, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with internal and external constituents
- Strong attention to detail balanced with the ability to think strategically.
- Ability to manage and foster change while making decisions and resolved problems working under pressure
- Ability to work well with people from all levels and facets of the organization
- Ability to turn data into actionable management information
- High professional standards with the ability to translate broad goals into achievable steps
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to travel as needed
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top