A Development Director (DD) is responsible for securing new income, developing relationships with major sponsors and working to expand MDA’s business by leading various donor committee relationships. S/he will be part of the District leadership team and will work with the Executive Director to ensure income growth in the market. The DD reports to the Executive Director and works closely with all levels of the MDA Team. The DD may oversee day to day responsibilities of the Development Specialist and Development Coordinator while working on fundraising programs.
- Execute individual business plan to exceed revenue goals and quotas specifically related to growth and new income sources.
- Responsible for effectively and efficiently completing activities and meeting target deadlines to meet financial goals and execute successful major fundraising programs such as MDA’s Muscle Walk, Fill the Boot, Golf Tournaments, Pin Up’s, Social Events and other fundraising opportunities.
- Responsible for a minimal of $325,000 in annual revenue including soft credit for Team Momentum Events.
- Identify and execute best practices that result in growth of event revenue in alignment with income plans; drives best practices and encourages innovation in community programs.
- Create fundraising opportunities through various development techniques including prospecting, targeted follow-up, and new lead generation.
- Deliver organized, structured, and persuasive presentations, to current/former/potential partners using effective written and verbal communication.
- Represent MDA throughout the community and actively engage in networking events and business development groups.
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Fundraising Team to develop a district wide fundraising strategy, timelines and goals on one or more of the core fundraising programs.
- Develop new programs that engage community leaders and key influencers in raising revenue for MDA.
- Manage fiscal accountability, following the district business plan, including providing accurate monthly projections to Executive Director.
- Build relationships and accountability systems to ensure supporters are engaged and our mission is clearly articulated.
- Oversee and participate in the management of expenses tied to the fundraising programs, seeking to grow efficiencies and economy, wherever possible.
- Work with the Development team to help them grow their target lists and learn development techniques.
- Continue prospecting, lead generation and targets for all MDA emphasis programs.
- Work closely with the Clinical Care team on the Muscle Walk and other family engagement fundraising programs.
- Handle fiscal accountability, following the District Business Plan, including providing accurate monthly projections to Executive Director.
- Ability to work independently and have a high standard of excellence for self.
- Perform other duties or special projects as needed.
- Drive: Motivated to meet and exceed fundraising goals and quotas. Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with sponsors to meet business objectives.
- Initiative: Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills, seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed. Demonstrate the ability to work independently and harmoniously with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, including public speaking; listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings; write clearly and informatively.
- Integrity: Work well in a rapidly changing environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Flexibility: Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Handle competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
- Dependability: Follows instructions, takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments.
- Bachelor’s degree (Business or Non-Profit Management preferred) and/or 4+ years of demonstrated sales and business development experience with a track record of successfully meeting sales quotas and exceeding expectations or equivalent combination of education and work experience in sales and/or fundraising.
- Proven ability to work independently and have high personal expectations of work product with demonstrated achievements being met.
- Ability to travel throughout District’s territory as well as work evenings/weekends as necessary. Use of personal vehicle in the course of employment is needed to travel throughout the district. Significant local travel is required for this position; including visiting local business, health care facilities, and events in public places.
- Ability and willingness to work irregular hours and attend meetings beyond the framework of the normal working schedule.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Knowledge of Salesforce or comparable CRM with ability to track and report on fundraising progress.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Caity B.Development Specialist
Caity oversees events in the Northeast Texas territory and develops new partnerships within existing programs in order to offer the best possible services to patients.
Back to top